The Wigan Directory of 1881, Worthington

Worthington is mostly an agricultural township in the parish of Standish, and is situated on the road from Wigan to Chorley, about three miles from Wigan. Standish, and Coppull are the nearest railway stations. The population in 1861 was 133; in 1871, 188; and in 1881, 255; acreage, 659.

    Letters are received through Wigan


Ackerley Henry, Esq., Burth Holme
Ainsworth Henry, farmer, Platt lane
Alker William, blacksmith
Atherton Henry, Crown Inn
Dickinson James, wheelwright
Dickinson Peter & Thomas, farmers
Fairhurst Mr. Thomas, Chorley road
Fisher B. & R., coal proprietors, Bradley Hall Collieries
Halton William, White Crow Inn
Hampson Robert, farmer
Howarth Robert, farmer, Back Lawyer's Farm
Mort Mary & Thomas, farmers
Ollerton Peter, farmer, Gorse Hall Farm
Ollerton Mr. Wm., farmer, nr. Gorse Hall Farm
Rigby William, farmer
Silvester Frederick, Esq., J.P., North hall
Ward Wm., farmer, Worthington Hall Farm
Woodcock Edward. H., Esq., Worthington Lodge
Worthington Hall Colliery Co., coal proprietors

Back to Index