The Wigan Directory of 1881, Winstanley

Winstanley township, which comprises an area of nearly three square miles, is surrounded by the townships of Orrell, Pemberton, Ashton and Billinge. There are coal pits in the eastern part of the township. There are neither places of worship, schools, public-houses, or policemen, within its boundaries, though access is easy to the neighbouring townships.

    The population in 1861, was 633; in 1871, 602; and in 1881, 545. Acreage, 1,859.
    CHADWICK GREEN is partly in this villiage and the township of Billinge.
    Letters are received through Wigan


Abbot John, farmer
Alker Robert, farmer
Ashall Mary, farmer
Ashton Joseph, farmer
Barton William, farmer
Davenport John, farmer
Dearden Edward, farmer
Fairclough Miss, farmer
Fouracre Samuel, farmer
Gray George, farm steward, Winstanley Hall
Halliwell Thomas, gamekeeper and farmer
Harley Henry, farmer
Holland George, manager
Laithwaite Henry, farmer
Lytham Thomas, farmer
Moyers James, farmer
Nicholson John, clerk, Wood Cottage
Nicholson Peter, farmer
Pimblett Thomas, farmer
Roskell Nicholas, farmer & quarrymaster
Shortrede Thos., agent, Park House
Turner John, farmer

Back to Index