The Wigan Directory of 1881, Dalton

Dalton is an agricultural township, forming the most western portion of Wigan Parish, and also of the Union. It is about six miles west by north from Wigan, and about the same east by north from Ormskirk. The township contains Ashurst Hall, now a farm-house, a portion of which dates from the first half of the 17th century, and also Ashurst Beacon, a building on the end of a ridge of considerable elevation, which serves as a mark to vessels on the Irish sea. From it the off scape includes the Welsh hills to Penmaenmawr, Blackcombe in Cumberland, and the hills of Derbyshire. The area is 2104 acres; the population in 1861 was 453; in 1871, 602; and in 1881, 494.

   Letters received through Ormskirk and Wigan.


PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Croft Rev. John, The Vicarage
Jardine J., Esq., Priors Wood Hall
Prescott John, Esq., Dalton Grange

COMMERCIAL

Airey Edward, farmer
Ball Edward, farmer, Elmer's green
Bolton William, farmer, Martin's Farm
Bowstead Ambrose, farmer, Stone Hall
Bullen Hugh, farmer
Edgar Cunliff, farmer
Fairclough George, farmer, Hawk's Clough
Fairclough Joseph, farmer
Glover Mrs., farmer, Elmer's green
Halewood William, farmer
Harwood Joseph, farmer, Rookery Farm
Hasleden James, farmer
Hodge -, farmer, Bangams
Howard Peter, Cross House
Lang Richard, farmer, and shoe maker
Marsh Frederick, farmer
Marsh The Misses, farmers, Scots fold
Marsh Thomas, farmer
Marsh William, coal proprietor, Belle Vue Colliery
Mason Richard, farmer
Morris William Owen, farmer
Ollerton Richard, farmer
Ormshaw Mrs. Robert, farmer
Richardson Hugh, farmer
Smith Henry, farmer
Speakman Charles, farmer
Speakman Charles, jun., farmer
Speakman Eliza, shopkeeper, beer retailer, and farmer
Speakman Thomas, farmer
Stopforth Ann, Prince William Inn
Stopforth James, farmer, Elmer's green
Taylor Esther, farmer, Ashurst Hall
Thompson George, farmer
Walsh William, farmer, Elmer's green

Back to Index