Item #: 4169
In October 1929 all the buildings in ‘Spite Row’ became vacant, and James Martland Ainscough seized the opportunity to purchase them on condition that the Standish Urban District Council would agree to their demolition. Mr Ainscough, a former pupil at Standish Grammar School and resident of Prospect House, was a prominent businessman in Wigan who became its 676th Mayor in 1923. Following the demolition of ‘Spite Row’, the site was cleared and grassed over, and surrounded by a low stone wall. The Council also took the opportunity to generally improve the Market Place including replacing the well-cover, and replacing the stocks in their original position near to the ancient village cross.
J. M. Ainscough died suddenly at his home in Parbold on 8 June 1937 aged 82 years; the Council installed a bronze plaque into the stone wall in the Market Place to recognize his generosity towards the improvement of his native village.