|| A Wigan shop assistant told a court on Monday how she found part of an insect embedded between layers of jelly and custard as she was eating a trifle.
Before Wigan Borough Magistrates' Court, accused of selling the trifle not of the substance demanded by the purchaser, was the firm of Sarah Lynn Ltd., whose local shop is in Mesnes Street, Wigan. The firm denied the offence - under the Food and Drugs Act - and were represented by Mr. Cyril Morris.
Mrs. Mary Horton, of Sandbrook Road, Orrell said on 7th December, she bought a trifle, costing 1s., from Sarah Lynn's confectioners shop in Mesnes Street.
Returning to her place of employment she began eating the trifle with a spoon.
"I saw a black object between the layers of custard and jelly. I looked at it and felt sick," said Mrs. Horton.
Cross-examined, Mrs. Horton said she had been a customer at Sarah Lynn's for "some time" and had been attracted there because it was a very clean looking shop.
"Sometimes, pranks are played among the girls at work - but not this sort of thing," she added.
Mr. John Marsh, Chief Public Health Inspector for Wigan Corporation, said the trifle was handed to him by a Mrs. Cunningham, who worked at the same shop as Mrs. Horton.
"The trifle contained part of an insect, and the following day an official of the firm called at my office and apologised. He said they were not satisfied with their present bakehouse in Wigan Lane. He also said that 'that kind of thing was likely to happen' in the premises now used," said Mr. Marsh.
Mr. Miles Standish, of Bolton, full-time hygiene officer employed by Sarah Lynn's said he made frequent visits to all the firm's shops, and they were proud of their high standards.
"We regard ourselves as setting the standard in the industry and we believe that our bakehouses are the best in the country," he said.
Mr. Standish said their bakehouse in Wigan Lane was far too small for their requirements and they were negotiating with Wigan Corporation for an extension on land adjoining the present bakehouse.
"I am quite confident," he said, "that there is no infestation in our bakehouse, which is cleaned daily. In my opinion, this insect gained entry into the trifle after manufacture, and the only explanation I can offer is that the insect fell on to the trifle."
Mr. Morris said it was a matter of great regret to the firm that this had happened. "And the company does not want to lose its good reputation because of one isolated incident," he said.
After a long retirement, the Magistrates fined the firm £10 and ordered them to pay £12 costs.