|These Boots Are Made For Walking…
Representatives from Wigan Warriors and Leigh Centurions, together with the Mayor of Wigan and Brenda Spencer, Chief Executive of Wigan Athletic, are all donning their walking boots this week to launch Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust’s ‘Health Walks’ programme.
The trust’s Active Living team organise a programme of healthy walks that take place across the Wigan Borough between March and November, ‘Health Walks’ are free guided walks of approximately one hour in duration and are open to all ages and abilities. They are ideal for beginners and those looking to improve their general health and well being.
“Our Health Walks programme provides a great opportunity for fun, safe and sociable exercise. They are especially suited for people who want to stay healthy, but perhaps cannot take part in strenuous exercise. All we ask is that participants wear suitable outdoors clothing and footwear,” says Alison Griffin, Community Outreach Officer with the Active Living team. “We are glad to be supported this week by the Mayor, Brenda and the rugby players, all of whom advocate a healthy lifestyle.”
The Active Living team co-ordinates the Health Walks with support from the trust’s Parks and Countryside team, Red Rose Forest, Groundwork Wigan and Chorley, Lancashire Wildlife Trust, local health professionals and Wigan Council.
“Walking is a great way to help improve many health conditions and we would people of all ages and from all areas to come along and join in the walks. Over two thousand walkers were involved last year,” continues Alison. “Many of the walks take in the beautiful countryside and scenery of Wigan Borough in areas such as Pennington Flash, Borsdane Woods and the Three Sisters Recreation Area.”
For more information on the Health Walks programme, visit the Active Living team online or contact them on 01942 828572.
Health Walks programme for March 2006 (all start at 11am):
- Tues 14th March - Orrell Water Park. Meet: Main Car Park, Lodge Road, Orrell
- Wed 15th March - Plank Lane, Leigh. Meet: Swing Bridge Car Park, Slag Lane, Leigh
- Tues 21st March - Saddle Junction, Wigan. Meet: Next to Halfords Car Park, Saddle Junction
- Wed 22th March - Borsdane Woods, Hindley. Meet: Tunnel Entrance, Danes Avenue, Hindley.
- Tues 28th March - Three Sisters Country Park, Ashton. Meet: Main Car Park, Three Sisters, Ashton in Makerfield.
- Wed 29th March - Windybank Wood. Meet: Bent’s Garden Centre, Warrington Road, Culcheth