wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Hiya

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Say hello or practice posting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Hiya Reply with quote

Hiya, My name is Helyn. I'm new on here and I thought I'd introduce myself.
I live in South Manchester, hoping to move to Wigan soon though!!
My boyfriend advised me to join here as I am in need of some help or advice. I'm at University at the moment and am doing a project on Wigan Pier, mainly along the lines of what it was used for, which pit heads it served. Generally it's history.
Although I have been told quite a lot of very interesting things I have no evidence to back it up.
I know I'm being really cheeky in my first post on here but does anyone know where I could get the information, evidence and references from?
Any help would be greatfully received.
Thanks
Helyn.
Tonker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are available on line, Helyn, but a lot are made up stories and few are factual.
As for collieries using the 'pier' (as it wasn't called then, by the way), the line was from Winstanley Colliery and is shown on Old Maps.
The wharf was used for transport of mill supplies and produce.
Helyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tonker. I have been searching online but it is difficult finding fact rather than fiction!! I have just found out that the original pier was dismantled in 1930 so it's older than I thought!!
I was going to spend sometime in the history shop, have a look at what they have got. I'll search the library as well. It's fasinated me now, I love looking at the history of places!!! lol.
samba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Helyn welcome to Wigan world, im not so good on exact dates but tonker is correct that the "wigan pier" was used for loading of goods other than coal, that area had many cotton mills (my mother worked in one of them as a young girl) and the cotton was transported on the canal amoungst other things.
The museum at the pier is closed now sadly, it was a great way to get a feel of what things use to be like. Yes the history shop(museum of wigan life) is a good place to start, and the library as you say. The history shop has old papers that can be viewed on micro film(booking advised) lots of books of old photos and local history books and lots of interesting document and maps. The central library and history shop are both in library street
Tonker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, if i were you, I'd join into 'general' in the 'communicate' section.

You'll get far more response. And one or two might even post a bit of information - in between the 'welcome' cards / flowers / bunny rabbits / this that and the other, and the annoying 'waving tonkers'!

You might even get asked 'Com esta teva ass per caps negre?' Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Say hello or practice posting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: