wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
BBC shipping container

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: BBC shipping container Reply with quote

this sound like an interesting project you never know it might come to Wigan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7600053.stm

The Box is an ambitious and unique year-long project for BBC News to tell the story of international trade and globalisation by tracking a standard shipping container around the world.
The Box
The Box will criss-cross the world

It is a project which plans to deliver content for television, radio and online audiences - telling the individual stories behind what makes the global economy tick.

We have painted and branded a BBC container and bolted on a GPS transmitter so you can follow its progress all year round as it criss-crosses the globe. The Box will hopefully reach the US, Asia, the Middle East , Europe and Africa and when it does BBC correspondents will be there to report on who's producing goods and who's consuming them.

Major challenge

It is a technically challenging project and things may go wrong along the way - powering the GPS transmitter and linking that to this website has been challenging. If they do, we will tell you what is happening and work to put them right. But our hope is that by the end of the year what you will see here is a unique snapshot of world trade and how it affects the lives of millions of people.

JOIN IN WITH THIS PROJECT
Send us your pictures - the Box on its travels, other containers in interesting or unusual situations, or just good shots of containers in use

How to send in your pictures

We called the project The Box from a fantastic book of the same name by Marc Levinson, which tells the story of how the humble shipping container changed the face of world trade. Lots of people have worked hard to make this idea happen and

I am very grateful to the CSIS, which represents the container shipping industry and has helped hugely with the planning, and also to the shipping line NYK , which is working with us to manage the project logistics.

From the start of the voyage in Southampton this journey will be a real one and whilst we are controlling some aspects of the process for logistical reasons the story it tells will be a truly representative one painting a picture of what globalisation really means.

Free ride

Surprisingly, this project will not be costing the BBC much over and above the coverage costs for the editorial content.

Whilst we have paid a little for the branding of the box and some technical costs the fact this is a working container means it will be earning its own keep.

We are keeping our fingers crossed the Box does not fall overboard (it happens) and that it gives us a better understanding of what ties countries and continents together.
FERT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's flawed - control of some aspects of the process for logistical reasons Confused the container is set free in to the system and they are giving it an advantage over what really goes on - a bit contrived ooh look there is our container placed just so for unlading/swift documentation in receiving port etc., bet they have control over what 'exciting' goods go in to it as well.
It's as bad as interfering in a nature watch is that - if a container is set free in to the wild they should not interfere and 'control' any aspects.
Mick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Fert it might have been better if it was just let loose in the system but maybe they want to film the goods being manufactured before they get put in the container and how the workers live where the goods are being made.

And if it was just wild it might not be as interesting for the viewer to watch I think theres alot of this gos on on the telly.

First load out to Shanghai is going to be Scotch whisky so maybe they are out there now filming the big wigs Chinese having there wee drams as we speak.
Art

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be summat like a "Tramp" driver. Wherever it's load is dropped, it gets loaded to go where the available load is going to.
Dunno' what it's like on road haulage now ( apart from easier loading/unloading) from when I was on HGV's. But there were trunkers(overnight drivers)
Shunters, day men,who tipped & loaded the lorry, ready for the trunker to do the distance work. On the other hand , there were Tramps (mainly Scottish lads)
who turned out on a Sunday, say, & never knew when they'd be home again. They went wherever the next load took 'em. That's how I would describe it.
After all, at sea there were tramp steamers before containerisation..
Mick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right Art the containers normally could end up anywhere the place where I work get 20 foot container which come in via Felixstowe (which is owned by an Hongkong company)

Then usually trucked up here but sometimes when they are very busy they will put it on a train to manchester and trucked from there.

Once its unloaded the driver takes it back to where he picked it up or else takes to somebody who is exporting from the UK.

When I was in the middle east we was moving from the red sea to the persian gulf and the company put some of our supplies on a tramp steamer which zig zagged from port to port all the way round and we ended up having to get new stuff sent out from USA.
SAMARES

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: BBC Shipping Container Reply with quote

Great idea CaptainK,I will be watching for it.Did you see the plastic ducks on T.V.that went overboard in the Pacific and have been spotted off the West Coast of Scotland.
Mick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the ducks on anews report Samares.

But years ago when I was based in Asia I remember Casio Watch Company floating off thousands of plastic balls containing vouchers for Casio Watches as a currents experiment and part advert in the sea off Japan.

Me and my work mates where looking over the side everyday for one but never saw any because theres a lot of water out there another thing was throwing bottles overboard with messages in never had any replys from any of them as well.
Mick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like its in Crewe at the moment wo it might be on its way up through Wigan in half an hour.

Its stopped moving so it looks like it waiting thre tilll after rush hour.
Mick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC are taking there chances by telling the world that the box is now full of Whisky.

I just hope it dosnt travel anywhere near to Skem with it being this close to Christmas.

Mick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if the container was just set loose in the system you wouldnt have learned all this about exporting scotch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7611607.stm
Mick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all at sea now after leaving Greenock it then called in to Belfast but didnt stop to long and now its heading in a southerly direction and passing the Isle of Man on the left.

So I suppose that will for now untill it reaches Shanghai.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: