wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Starstruck
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Starstruck Reply with quote

Coffee @ coming to our town.

Is it me or are we getting to be just like every other town in the country ?

Same shops, same "cafes" all multi-nationals, at least in Chester they won't let them change the overall outside appearences of the places.

Don't mind the branded names but they do tend to stifle the local business trade eventually.

http://www.wigantoday.net/wigan-news/Starbucks-heads-for-Wigan.3162817.jp
Ian Mcl

Location: Bijou penthouse suite in the heart of Wigan's Theatreland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

over-rated and over expensive crip - did I spell that right?

Go and have a brew with colin @ the Coven instead!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don't think it is THAT bad. Very Happy Not the coffee, the shops!

Yes we have chains of cafes, clothes shops, mobile phone shops!

But we also have the Uptown and Downtown Diners, Cassinelli's, Smiths of Wigan, Twist Pies! That are simply Wigan places, if you decide not to shop there... no wonder they are struggling!

I do see your point, we are becoming like a US State... Starbucks, MacDonalds, Pizza Hut... Kentucky Fry! But the fact is we do use these places, and we may not like it... but that is how we 'eat out' these days if we are 'not bothered'.

For the record... I like Starbucks. In a cafe I pay 90p for a small cup of insipid, week coffee... in Starbuck I can get a decent Cappucinno for 1.45... and it holds 3 times more than any cafes cups! It boils down to this, if you think Starbucks is a rip off... don't go in there. But if you are happy with them, enjoy the coffee.

No right... no wrong.... only opinions.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really needed yet another cafe didn't we? Laughing
Ian Mcl

Location: Bijou penthouse suite in the heart of Wigan's Theatreland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what about Cafe Santos? good coffee and nice staff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Ian Mcl- Colin and Maria's @ The Coven any time!!! Very Happy Very Happy
tardelli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a coffee lover i want as many coffee shops as possible Smile

Favourite is the one at ceder farm at the moment - fantastic

http://www.cedarfarm.net/
Ann

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have them over here I think they tatse terrible
and they are very expensif
even the food to is not cheep Shocked
cerridwen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate coffee! PG Tips for me!..lol Very Happy

http://blog.wiganworld.co.uk/cerridwen
unreality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that near Gamestation? I just hope it'll be open past 5.30pm unlike all the other coffee shops that shut when the shops do. So if I'm in town with the GF past shop closing time all we can do is go to pubs or fast food places. Wigan needs to get with the times and realise there is a market after 5.30pm!
pieeyter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unreality wrote:
Is that near Gamestation? I just hope it'll be open past 5.30pm unlike all the other coffee shops that shut when the shops do. So if I'm in town with the GF past shop closing time all we can do is go to pubs or fast food places. Wigan needs to get with the times and realise there is a market after 5.30pm!
Why should they work after 5.30 they want to get home aswell you never know some of them might be in the same pub or restaurant that you go in after 5.30
Pieeyter.
Cadfael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pieeyter"][quote="unreality"]Is that near Gamestation? I just hope it'll be open past 5.30pm unlike all the other coffee shops that shut when the shops do. So if I'm in town with the GF past shop closing time all we can do is go to pubs or fast food places. Wigan needs to get with the times and realise there is a market after 5.30pm![/quote] Why should they work after 5.30 they want to get home aswell you never know some of them might be in the same pub or restaurant that you go in after 5.30
Pieeyter.[/quote]

Um... in London where they are open all day there is a shift change between 5pm and 6pm. So the ones who have worked all day can go out and have a pie and a pint.

Speaking for myself, I would much rather see a more cosmopolitan outlook on night life in Wigan as opposed to the binge drinkers. In fact, if this was encouraged the binge drinkers would find themselves out in the cold and no longer stood for. In London City centre you can go out at any time, day or night and people are using the cafes, the restaurants, theatres... sitting out having a coffee... and there is no bother. When I was there I felt totally safe to just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere.
Gaudete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same in some parts of Manchester, where cafes are open into the night. They are just as busy as many pubs and bars.

Cadfael, I noticed the pun "It boils down to this....." in your last but one post. Very good! Very Happy
Cadfael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaudete wrote:

Cadfael, I noticed the pun "It boils down to this....." in your last but one post. Very good! Very Happy

I am so glad you noticed that, because I did not! Laughing
New Wiganer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unreality wrote:
We need a more continental outlook. In France, where I lived for a while, Friday and Saturday nights you'd see the whole family down the local Cafe/Bar. Everyone felt safe. In Jersey recently I found a cafe full of old sofas with shelves of board games, magazines etc and the place was packed with local youths - no booze and no trouble! Over the last 15 years it seems that when some of our youngsters go out they don't feel they've had a good time unless they get legless. It's a real shame. 'Designer cafes like StarCostaNero don't help, they're outrageously expensive and, as Cadfael and others have said, close too early.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> News and views All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: