wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
F1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juggler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: F1 Reply with quote

Lewis Hamilton has just had a bad crash in final qualifying. He has been taken to the track medical centre and appears to be doing fine. Noone is sure whether he will be fit to race tommorrow. The cause of the accident has been put down to a loose wheel nut

HERE is the link to the BBC website news story.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, but at least he came out of it alive.

Goes to show what sport coverage does - A racer was killed on Mallory Park on Friday (BSB) and there was next to no coverage for him...

RIP Ollie Bridewell, good luck to Lewis today.
Juggler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race is on ITV1 this afternoon at 15:00. They should mention it on there. What a sad ending to a very talented riders career.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juggler wrote:
The race is on ITV1 this afternoon at 15:00. They should mention it on there. What a sad ending to a very talented riders career.

Is it? I know it was supposed to be, but the F1 is running late...
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, a couple of minutes to him at the start...

But still, don't you think it's wrong how the press coverage of Hamilton was so big because he crashed, yet a death in another more dangerous sport gets little or no recognition by the national press Question
Juggler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you on that one. Hamilton comes out without a scratch and gets all the media attention, whereas Bridewell dies and no media coverage, (that I've seen). The saddest part of it is, Bridewell's team mate is his younger, (19 year old), brother.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, they pulled out of the race, and TBH don't blame them. However, no matter what is said, I still think the weather was a contributing factor, the last few rounds of BSB have been waterlogged, yet they still raced, and there's been plenty of offs. May make for exciting viewing, but when people get seriously injured, I think the term used is Negligence...
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame about the bump, bang (literally) went his chance of a tenth consecutive podium finish, still 9 out of 10 is good going for a rookie @ F1 Cool
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess... I am confused with the hype over Hamilton. They say he is the only rookie to come into F1 and immediately begin to win, he is the only rookie to be consistantly on the podium, the only rookie to challenge for the championship in his first year...

He is not!

Let me hasten to add I do hope he does well this year, and to see a Brit take the top spot in 2007 would be something all Brit F1 fans need to see... he is awsome!

But... one name...

Jacques Villeneuve... Lewis Hamilton has still to beat the records he set in his rookie year. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of JV, I think his Championship year of 1997 was more a case of other losing it then him winning it... I think he has the luck of Murphy...

But he DID win races right from the start of his rookie year, he WAS conistantly on the podium... and he did take it to the VERY last race with Damon Hill for the championship. For those who cannot remember 1996, his wheel came of in the final race and Hill became World Champion when it happened.

I simply cannot understand why they are saying Lewis was the only one to do 'this'... and to do 'that'... he is NOT! Villeneuve IS at this moment in time

Okay, as the season goes on Lewis may overtake him... but he has not done so yet. Trust me, I watch the races and I am rooting for Lewis, for the first time since Hill I am enjoying the races... and shouting at the TV.

But. As a for instance... Hamilton has won 3 races in his rookie year, Villeneuve won 4! Lewis has STILL to beat that... the odds say he will, but you never know!
tardelli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he gets more hype because

1) He younger

2) He's British

Simple.
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3) He's good

Cool
Cadfael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspulliter wrote:
3) He's good

Cool

No doubt about that, he is more than good... he is passionate and talented about racing. I just think it is a bit rich forgetting F1 history, especially at the time JV was on his high... he was the golden boy. LH has still to break JV record for a rookie year.

I think he will given his record so far, but he has not done so yet... and he is getting a tad flaky as the season goes on... but that is down to the Alonso thing, the needle match has begun there. Very Happy
Cadfael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Townofmemories wrote:
You're right, a couple of minutes to him at the start...

But still, don't you think it's wrong how the press coverage of Hamilton was so big because he crashed, yet a death in another more dangerous sport gets little or no recognition by the national press Question

Absolutely! I am not a fan of Superbikes, and it may not have the appeal or the money that F1 has, but it is not by any means a minor championship... and Ollie Bridewell's death should have been better reported, and his talent and his loss aknowledged by the national media. I will also admit that races on four wheels in this day and age of safety rules, face nothing near the danger of racers on two wheels... those guys have balls and guts.

When Greg Moore died in 1999, ITV-F1 ran a full feature on him, even though he had never been an F1 racer. Alex Zannadi's accident was given a full feature, although he HAD raced in F1 it has to be said, but not at the time of the accident. It just seems you have to be a racer on four wheels to be given credit in F1 circles... even Barry Sheen was just given a 60 second spot.
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso have kissed & made up ahead of the in
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what they're telling you... The reality will be a different story...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: