wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Blueyonder PC Guard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Blueyonder PC Guard Reply with quote

Some of you will recall me clearing my HD in the "boot-up" thread,(by accident)
When I re-loaded the programs lost,I found that I had a new version of PC Guard Smile
so off I toddled to me lappy,to un-install the old version I had on there,& load the new (better) version.Could I do it?.........could I hell-as Mad
The old version wouldn't un-install,I lost the icons,no protection.
To cap it all the new version wouldn't install coz the old version was blocking it ie:"there are still parts of the OV left on"
Tried Program files un-install...No luck.. Evil or Very Mad ....................Any Ideas?

Apparently,one of the files causing me probs,is: AVCntxtR.dll
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried in Safe Mode?

Also, will the new version install and overwrite/uninstall the old one in the process - that sometimes works with newer versions of software.

Cheers.
Art

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyX wrote:
Have you tried in Safe Mode?

Also, will the new version install and overwrite/uninstall the old one in the process - that sometimes works with newer versions of software.

Cheers.

That's part of the prob,the new one won't install until the old one's gone.

Not tried in safe mode tho',no idea how to Sad
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

The screen looks very basic and the words "Safe Mode" are displayed all the time so that you don't forget. This mode should allow you to uninstall the old version. When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Then install the new version.

There's a bit of info here about Safe Mode - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: