wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
fortnightly bin collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand why you can't put food waste in the green bins myself - After all, it all rots down... We had our new bin dropped off about a week ago, used it once, to empty the grass cuttings (Open plan front garden - Can't leave it down because people find it fun to roll in it!), and some waste cardboard. Ours will only be going out every 2 months I reckon due to the waste we have. The paper bag gets filled up though - We get the WEP and Express daily, and the Observer and Reporter weekly.
Val

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have had a green bin for months. We will be lucky to use it twice a year for the tree trimmings. More welcome will be bins for paper and plastic. However, in some areas (not Wigan) black bins have been reduced in size to encourage recycling. Surely we should be asking the council how IT recycles?
merlinsmum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate waste and recycyle where i can, sometimes i half fill my wheelie bin others i can't shut the lid!....... We have just gotten green wheelie bins which i moaned and complained to get! since having it delivered I have done nothing in the garden cos of the constant rain which turns my lawn into a flooded swamp.
I also have a compost bin but am fussy what i put in that so do have a need for the green wheelie bin.
I also have a metal incinerator and use that for getting rid of cardboard and paper bulky packaging. Was also used for garden waste before getting green wheelie.
I couldn't manage with a wider wheelie bin wouldn't fit thru gate! so they would have to be either taller or deeper.
A lot of thought is going to have to be put into this, as people have already said ... larger capacity means more weight and bulk and some folk just couldn't manage it.
or maybe we will have black bin bags accepted? which again could lead to vermin problems, not everybody uses common sense... ie- non food waste in bin bags only.
And lets face it how many of us put old batterys and the like in the wheelie bin?? we aren't supposed to do that either.
I could talk forever about rubbish me!! Laughing
oi! your not supposed to agree!
rodders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have tubs for bottles and cans which I drop off at the supermarket recycling skips. It would be very nice if they came to get it with the bin men as they do in StHelens but alas not. We generally don't fill the bin even with 4 of us in the house. We do however fill 4 decent size tubs with bottles and tins every few weeks. I suppose it depends on what you buy, eat, recycle etc.

Having said that, even though we don't fill the bin every week I would still hate for the collection to go bi-weekly as we do get maggot's sometimes when I occasionally miss the collection.
Val

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doesn't it bother anyone that we are all going to all this trouble to recycle when the council itself does not bother to do so? At Wigan market, EVERYTHING gets chucked down the compactor into the skip. Loads and loads of clean cardboard and other things that could be recycled. I presume it has the same system at every other market in the borough. Also, what about it's offices, such as the Civic Centre? Do they use recycled paper and what happens to ll their rubbish? There are lots of charities who collect stamps to raise money so I wonder if all the stamps off incoming mail are chucked - I bet they are and I also bet they don't recyle anything. It seems the emphasis is on Joe Public. What happens when we are charge for bins weighing more than so much too, will the council impose this on itself? Are the chips in the bin lids by the way cos Ive been told they are all already chipped and just waiting activation.
M.G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all paper is shredded and recycled at council offices has been for a few years now. Stamps are saved and collected to buy guide dogs in our offices.
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUBBISH
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL THIS RUBBISH
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS RUBBISH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> News and views All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: