wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
fortnightly bin collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Val

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a programme tother week about this and the bins were not replaced by bigger ones. The residents were going berserk as it is up to the resident to recycle once the bin is full. They had one black bin for general, one green bin for garden and a small blue bin for plastics. One lady complained about her bad back but unless you are disabled you still have to put your own bins out. They complained about the smell and the fact that in reals terms they are actually paying twice as much because the bill didn't got down for a half service. In another study, one estate had their bins chipped which was read before emptying into the wagon. Any bin over a certain weight meant the resident was billed for excess and any bin containing recylable matter was fined. Result - half the residents ripped the chips from the bins and those billed or fined refused to pay. The chips I think were removed by the council if I remember rightly.
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
I watched a programme tother week about this and the bins were not replaced by bigger ones. The residents were going berserk as it is up to the resident to recycle once the bin is full. They had one black bin for general, one green bin for garden and a small blue bin for plastics. One lady complained about her bad back but unless you are disabled you still have to put your own bins out. They complained about the smell and the fact that in reals terms they are actually paying twice as much because the bill didn't got down for a half service. In another study, one estate had their bins chipped which was read before emptying into the wagon. Any bin over a certain weight meant the resident was billed for excess and any bin containing recylable matter was fined. Result - half the residents ripped the chips from the bins and those billed or fined refused to pay. The chips I think were removed by the council if I remember rightly.

... and I bet a lot of peole resorted to fly tipping as well?
pieeyter

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: bins Reply with quote

In New Zealand they have one bin but have green boxes for bottles

another box for cardboard and they have to tie paper up like the shape of a toilet roll and everything is collected on a different day.

The waggon that comes for the bin only as one arm on to lift the bin up
turns it over into the waggon then puts it back down in the same place ,only manned by one man.(no quips please Very Happy Very Happy ). eg: one armed man Cool Cool Cool Very Happy Very Happy

Pieeyter
Val

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they did cadfael. There is a constant battle against fly tippin at the cut not far from martland mill already so can you imagine what will happen? Also feel sorry for people wi bad legs bad backs and the elderly havin to drag all these heavy bins around.
Cadfael

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and god forbid the binmen should actually go around the back and get the bins... the poor souls will be shattered!

Anyone remember 20 years ago... when a binman would throw the bin on his back and carry it to the wagon? Or the noisy types, who would roll it on its edge?

Now they are very wel paid... and we do half of the job for them!
Val

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my poor brother in laws used to be binmen years ago. They would take anything. one even took an old heavy washing machine for us and crushed it in their machine like butter. They worked very hard. One had cancer and didnt tell anyone till it was very advanced and was still working up to three weeks before he died....he even insisted his daughter's wedding went ahead and a friend worked thru the night to get a video edited for him to see but sadly he died moments before it was delieverd to the hospital. Cadfael it makes me very annoyed cos youre right we are doing their job for them. But sadly worse is to come I fear.
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happened?

Ash bin, ashes from the coal fire,
everything was burned on the fire,
leftover food,paper, cardboared anything that would burn. emptied once a week, beltin

and then!

Cant burn coal, only smokeless, not cheap

We all get gas fires, cleaner an cheaper Natural gas ,as it was then!!

and then!

small plastic bins ( one was enough ) emptied once a week.

they came into ur yard or whatever and carried it out, beltin.

and then

Waw!! Wheelies, twice the size, wheel it yourself to the pavement
beltiner! once a week.

and then !

We go backwards,same bin emptied once every two weeks. not beltin.

and then!

street bonfires once a week..............beltin
Garnet76

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon there will definately be more people burning rubbish if collections go fortnightly!! So much for helping the environment!! Evil or Very Mad
katie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sick of the bin collection problems, especially so because my street is dirty and the council continue to clean an already clean high street.

Twisted Evil

In fact, I registered my views on a survey being run at http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3223 which looks pretty positive for getting something done, at last.

Rolling Eyes

K.x
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last its coming to our estate @ Aspull, me thinks we are the last in the borough to get the green version, or are we ?

pieeyter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: bins Reply with quote

We had blokes coming round about 2weeks ago putting leaflets through doors saying that the council would be giving us green bins as well as the one's we have now.

My daughter as had the green bins for about 12 months now.

So don't think they will be re=cycling anything

Pieeyter
Cadfael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green bins are only for garden waste and plain cardboard, there is still romm for improvement there I reckon. The amount of garden waste I generate is almost zero... and we don't get much plain brown cardboard, most of it is colour printed.
pieeyter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadfael wrote:
The green bins are only for garden waste and plain cardboard, there is still romm for improvement there I reckon. The amount of garden waste I generate is almost zero... and we don't get much plain brown cardboard, most of it is colour printed.

Yeah that's true me and the wife talked about that because 90% of boxes have coloured print on them. We saved some plastic milk bottles and took them to Tesco and Morrisons no were to put them sp i suppose we have to do the bin mens work again taking them to the tip.

Pieeyter Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped taking the "plastic" bottles back to the supermarket recycle points as they were always full to over flowing. Ended up as litter being blown about the car parks.
However newspapers/scrap paper is always recycled as is glass & aluminium cans.
Now that the green bins have reached us the garden stuff can go -in, and before you ask the compost heap is overflowing. Cool
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think*... but nt absolutely certain.... that you can also put tea leaves and old t-bags in the green bins as well. They are just plant waste afterall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> News and views All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: