wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Global Warming?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok
Cadfael

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloo-moon wrote:
listen luv, I never said the icecaps are not melting all I was saying from the first post is that its nowt do with us. its nature.

So prove me wrong !

You are telling me man never had an influnce over the weather of thiis
planet?

Google 'Dartmoor'

Then read.. weep, and reply.
Val

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ice caps may well be receeding but wild variations in the earths weather are legend and it is how the earth formed. I watched a programme on cable a bit back and one expert had this to say:

If you think of the earth as a book about the size of the Bible, the history of humankind would end about halfway down the first page. How audacious of humans to think we can control nature to the extent of preventing natural processes. We can contribute to it sure but we cannot halt what is meant to be altogether. We are but a pinhead in the earth's story. We will eventually become extinct and the earth's story will continue to its final conclusion when the sun no longer keeps earth alive.

I watched a similar programme the other day on cable and though the argument was towards global warming being caused by us, I still think the other bloke is right. However, as even he said, it does not mean we should not contribute to slowing things down if we can by being careful.
Val

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what ricky thinks about evolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
The ice caps may well be receeding but wild variations in the earths weather are legend and it is how the earth formed. I watched a programme on cable a bit back and one expert had this to say:

If you think of the earth as a book about the size of the Bible, the history of humankind would end about halfway down the first page. How audacious of humans to think we can control nature to the extent of preventing natural processes. We can contribute to it sure but we cannot halt what is meant to be altogether. We are but a pinhead in the earth's story. We will eventually become extinct and the earth's story will continue to its final conclusion when the sun no longer keeps earth alive.

I watched a similar programme the other day on cable and though the argument was towards global warming being caused by us, I still think the other bloke is right. However, as even he said, it does not mean we should not contribute to slowing things down if we can by being careful.

You are absolutely right about this... ice ages do come in intervals, and at a very steady rate. They can tell this by taking ice cores... and they know that an iceage is preceded by a warming of the earth, in fact is is the warming that triggers the ice age.

But here is the bad news... the next warming perion should be 8000 years away... that is when the northern hemisphere will be pointed away from the sun,they know the intervals very precisely. But it is happening now, so something is out of whack for sure.

The Larsen B Iceshelf in Antartica had stood for 2300 years.... in March 2002 it melted and collapsed in the space of 6 weeks. The US Iceberg Patrol, who monitor icebergs in the north Atlantic at one time dealt with 300 icebergs a year... they are now dealing with that number in 2 months, more and more ice is breaking away from the Greenland Iceshelf... the danger here is that amount of floating ice could cool the north Atlantic so much that is stops the Gulf Stream in its tracks. And it is this stream that keeps Europe warm. if you think about it... Europe is on the same line of latitude as Canada, yet we do not have the severe cold winters that they have... but their waters are not warmed by the Gulf Stream. If we in Europe should lose the Gulf Stream... we would have the same weather as Canada.

This would mean that eventually would come a winter that has the whole top of the North hemisphere icebound as far south as the south coast of England... and that would trigger a new iceage.

Why it is happening is still up in the air... but it IS happening, and nobody denies this. It 'COULD' be the amount of Co2 we are pumping out into the atmosphere, and cutting down our carbon emmisions is certainly not going to do any harm... we can afford to play it safe. However, if we blithly carry on as we are, and much later Co2 IS found to be the cause.... it could very well be to late then.

Now, I WILL apologise to Gareth, my reaction was a bit strong. But to actually say there is more ice than 40 years ago... when the evidence clearly and incontestably shows the there is significantly less ice, at best show that Gareth is commenting on something he is misinformed, or knows nothing about. It was a comment that invited a reaction.
Cadfael

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloo-moon wrote:
listen luv, I never said the icecaps are not melting all I was saying from the first post is that its nowt do with us. its nature.

So prove me wrong !

Dartmoor in Devon was once a lush forest, the weather was mild, and the land fertile and bountiful.

Then man began to clear the trees for pastureland, until eventully the forest had gone. Over the next few winters, rain washed the soil from the moor, stripping away the land to bare rock. Without the trees there was no shelter from the bitters storms from the Atlantic...

Dartmoor is now a bleak barren landscape, with bitter winds in the winter blowing across it, it even has its own micro-climate. Snow that would usually melt remaind there for weeks because of the windchill factor. many who venture up there in winter have been lost.

Man had in fact altered the climate of part of the earths surface.... we do have an effect. It was the first natural disaster caused by man.
Val

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as the experts can't even agree on the finer points I guess that makes for healthy debate here too! Mind you, we are a tiny little speck on the planet unlike whacking great big gas guzzlin USA which blindly and selfishly refuses to do bugger all for the environment except abuse, use and pollute it as far as I can see. (as a country I mean, not individuals cos some folks are probly doin their bit.)
Cadfael

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
well as the experts can't even agree on the finer points I guess that makes for healthy debate here too! Mind you, we are a tiny little speck on the planet unlike whacking great big gas guzzlin USA which blindly and selfishly refuses to do bugger all for the environment except abuse, use and pollute it as far as I can see. (as a country I mean, not individuals cos some folks are probly doin their bit.)

Very damn well said! Whatever we do will just be a drop n the ocean until the US finally wise up to the fact they need get rid of their reliance on fossil fuels.

I am not gona name names here, but recently there was BBC TV program advocating the 'Global Warming' scare is in fact a hoax... or rather has no valid evidence. One of the scientist questioned in support of this theory was actually intervied on TV 10 years ago.. where he supported the idea of global warming. He is now employed by a research company, this company is part of a whole consortium of companies... that are owned by Exxon... an oil company.

Now he says global warming is a falicy, he has done a complete about face. Okay... he may have very reasons for changing his mind... but very little has been made of the fact he basically works for an industry for whom green issues will lose them money.
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ok..... lets take the next step, we,re reliant on fossil fuel, oil ,gas, if we abandoned them sources , and we cant , where do we go?

Nuclear??

Nah, thats not natural, not nature, all living creatures on our planet use whatever it offers us.
Early man burned wood (nature ) to keep him warm.
Then coal, fossilied wood (nature) for Industry
Oil (nature)
Gas, same.
Whatever hole we make, its meant to be, lets just live with it untill some time in the future we may get the sun and wind (nature) to carry us on.

Here endeth the lesson.so help me God.
Smile
Ian Mcl

Location: Bijou penthouse suite in the heart of Wigan's Theatreland

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"if we abandoned them sources , and we cant , where do we go? "

The thing is we don't have an option; there is a thing, as I've said many times before, called the post-peak oil crisis - this is where it costs more to get the oil out of the ground... so prices rise cos all our food etc is brought by planes, lorries etc all using vast amounts of fuel - when the cost of that fuel rises so does the cost of food.

we have to look at a re-organisation of life as we know it; a localisation maybe, certainly a change in the way we think of "normal". I'm not advocating a return to the middle ages but we do need to get used to the idea that if you want strawberries at xmas or whatever you are REALLY going to have to pay for them - if you get my drift.

We will also have to concentrate more on alternative forms of ebergy - ie wave wind solar, and become so very much more efficient in the ways we use - and conserve - the power we have.

Here endeth MY lesson Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need the earth resources to live the life we do, were not talkin prices of things, they,re irrelevent, if we dont have lorries an planes an stuff,we do without or grow our own, you cant have it both ways.

Save the earth, grow your own strawberries.

You talk' PRICES ' all the time and Post peak oil prices??

if it got cheaper we,d use more !!
and then
and then
We got a bigger hole in the Ozone
We cant have it both ways.
God Bless you my son.
Thwhacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This winter, world wide, has been the coldest since 1966. Ice in the Arctic is six inches thicker than it was a decade go. There are twice as many polar bears in Churchill as there were five years ago. Even a cursory glance at the copious evidence to the lie of global warming reveals the truth.

Global warming is a scam, and Al Gore, who hates the America that didn't elect him to the Presidency, is making millions off it.

Smelling money and power, every vegan, tree hugger, save-the-waltzing-micer, soil-depletioner, pure waterer, and every other stripe of pious environut on the planet has embraced it. It's the perfect answer to all their problems.

Some teachers are actually showing Gore's laughably fake movie to classes. They are scaring the hell out of kids with this nonsense.

Some-one has finally invented a parallel to religion. Frighten people into believing their behavior is bad. Anoint yourself as the only true savior who can rescue the ignorant from their impending doom. Ask for a check, pronto.

Not convinced? Look into the global FREEZING scare of the 1960s.

There are always people who want to run your life, tell you how rotten you are and if you were only like them, everything would improve, so how about a healthy cash donation for some-one who is so much better than you?

Global warming? If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Thwhacker.

PSS It seems that Hillary will not make the Democratic nomination. Look for she and Billy to embark on a safe -world tour lecturing the little people on the evils of global warming - they are miffed that Algore capitalized on it first - and picking up millions to add to their already substantial pile. Hillary alone is currently worth $45 million.
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: global warming? Reply with quote

well said Thwacker

Its cold tonight

better throw another fridge on the tip

warm us up.
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thwhacker wrote:
This winter, world wide, has been the coldest since 1966. Ice in the Arctic is six inches thicker than it was a decade go. There are twice as many polar bears in Churchill as there were five years ago. Even a cursory glance at the copious evidence to the lie of global warming reveals the truth.

Global warming is a scam, and Al Gore, who hates the America that didn't elect him to the Presidency, is making millions off it.

Smelling money and power, every vegan, tree hugger, save-the-waltzing-micer, soil-depletioner, pure waterer, and every other stripe of pious environut on the planet has embraced it. It's the perfect answer to all their problems.

Some teachers are actually showing Gore's laughably fake movie to classes. They are scaring the hell out of kids with this nonsense.

Some-one has finally invented a parallel to religion. Frighten people into believing their behavior is bad. Anoint yourself as the only true savior who can rescue the ignorant from their impending doom. Ask for a check, pronto.

Not convinced? Look into the global FREEZING scare of the 1960s.

There are always people who want to run your life, tell you how rotten you are and if you were only like them, everything would improve, so how about a healthy cash donation for some-one who is so much better than you?

Global warming? If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Thwhacker.

PSS It seems that Hillary will not make the Democratic nomination. Look for she and Billy to embark on a safe -world tour lecturing the little people on the evils of global warming - they are miffed that Algore capitalized on it first - and picking up millions to add to their already substantial pile. Hillary alone is currently worth $45 million.

Bullshit post... there is no understanding of the dynamics of global warming even remotely shown.
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: global warming? Reply with quote

Where did it go?

This global warming.

bring it on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> News and views All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: