wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Global Warming?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Global Warming? Reply with quote

I dont believe it, I must admit I did at first when the eggheads said we had a hole in the Ozone layer an stuff.
Freak weather conditions happen and have happened for millions of years.
When the ice age came there was no owd fridges,cars ,burnin of fossil fuel, it just came, who,s fault was that?

The Sun...is the boss

just like a woman

Hot then warm then cool then cold, we,re in the warm bit.
Gareth Hughes

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We keep getting told that all the ice caps are melting and we are going to be flooded,but when I was at school we were told that if you had a glass full to the brim with water and dropped an ice cube in, the glass would be full to the brim with some of the ice sticking out above the water level.
when the ice has melted the water level would drop to less than a full glass because ice is less dense than water .so how can melting ice caps make the sea rise?surely it should fall.
Someone enlighten me.
Oy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because a lot of the ice is over land - not floating in the sea.
aisforandy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the frozen water will only displace as much as its volume - and as a solid carries more volume, as it melts its molecular state changes to become fluid and molecules are not so seperate.
spud

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with bloo-moon on this one. Coal was formed 500,000.000 years ago from forests,so the uk was land then, in the arley coal seam there is a mussel band,I have seen it myself, so the uk must have been under the sea in that period. What caused it ? Also we used to be joined to France,what caused the continent to spit? These things happen over hundreds of millions of years,I believe it is scaremongering, that is my opinion for what its worth.
Ian Mcl

Location: Bijou penthouse suite in the heart of Wigan's Theatreland

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"These things happen over hundreds of millions of years,"

Normally, yes, geological time is quite difficult for us mere mortals to imagine! However, I think the problem now is that the process seems to be vastly vastly accelerated - by all our owd fridges etc causing problems in the ozone layer with greenhouse gasses etc and therefore the problem of flooding has greatly increased.

Lots of the UK was under water as you say, both before and after the coal seams - ie ex - forests were laid down. The difference now is that we now have a huge population - and not just in UK - who are in danger of losing their lives and livlihoods if the present rate of warming continues

Its a different scenario to xmillion years ago...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point Ian, it will be bad news for lots of people if the sea levels rise, not all scientists believe greehouse gasses are causing the present warm period, most disagree I,ve read....everybody seems to be jumpin on the Green wagon , I agree with using the rubbish we throw out to be recycled if it can be and composting waste food an veg etc just the basic stuff.
Under the guise of 'saving the planet' this government along with others are raising taxes ,air fares, large cars etc, they dont tell us how they will use this extra revenue to combat ' global warming'

Its all a big con.
Gareth Hughes

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global warming my arse.
There happens to be more ice at the polar caps at the moment than at any time in the last 40 years.
Polar bears which the greenies are telling us are in danger are in such abundance that a cull is being contemplated.
Its all a ruse to rape us of more tax with a load of spin.
Ian Mcl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth am checking your points out as we speak: this " ruse to tax us" shite is so unbelievably naive I won't even comment on it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ian Mcl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the guise of 'saving the planet' this government along with others are raising taxes ,air fares, large cars etc, they dont tell us how they will use this extra revenue to combat ' global warming'

Its all a big con.[/quote]

I agree with some points there bloo: it seems to make total sense to me that the bigger the engine etc, but how the is going to be used is important - but also you should consider the "post-oil-peak" problem: when it becomes too expensive to get the oil there is left that prices hike hugely! We have to look at a localised economy - even ASDA is doing it this week I believe: where u buy produce produced within a 40mile radius or so...
Cadfael

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth Hughes wrote:
Global warming my arse.
There happens to be more ice at the polar caps at the moment than at any time in the last 40 years.
Polar bears which the greenies are telling us are in danger are in such abundance that a cull is being contemplated.
Its all a ruse to rape us of more tax with a load of spin.

What a total and utter peice of tripe, I have only rarely seen such drivel posted on any forum. FACT! Carve this is stone... the ice caps ARE receading! Even the anti-warming scientist agree with that. It is the reasons for it that are in debate, no scientist would contest that they are melting... to suggest they are in a better condition than 40 years ago is talking from his ass.

But... I will forgive you, you are falling for the 'conspiracy theory' side of this... most people with no ability to think rationally often do simply belive what they are told. If next week it was decided that the anti global warmers are part of a plot for petrol companies to avoid looking into cleaner energy... you would do an about face and go with that...

Gareth... you are either a troll trying to get a reaction, or a total idiot. (<- There is my reaction, enjoy it, it is the last you will get). Stop reading... and start thinking.

No apologies given for the tone of this post.

Last edited by Cadfael on Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there Gareth, you hath been told, he has a nice way with words.

No opologies given for this tone of post Smile
Cadfael

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my opinion... and maybe an un-informed opinion...

.... Prove me wrong by all means...

But do not tell me the ice caps are thicker... or in better health than between 40 and 150 years ago.... that is just bollocks... total bollocks.

Simple question... other than salinity of the oceans... what other factor causes ice to melt? What could make an ice shelf that stood for 2000 years collapse in the space of three months? Google 'Larsen B' Watch the video... what makes ice melt?

Just why this is happening I am open to debate...

.. but you cannot deny it IS happening.

Which is just what this troll did... denied it.

Oh and yes... I am an arrogant b*stard... no need to prove it to me my love.

Rather than make an issue with the way I put a point across... deal with the issue...

Your snide snark comments mean nothing to me... move on... nothing to see here.

Last edited by Cadfael on Fri May 04, 2007 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
bloo-moon

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen luv, I never said the icecaps are not melting all I was saying from the first post is that its nowt do with us. its nature.

So prove me wrong !
Cadfael

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice ages happen an an average of 15,000 years... give or take a few hundred years...

Fact...we are now 10,000 from the last ice age and the Earth is heating up.. which funnily enough is a precursor of Ice Age. But this time... we are out of synch!

Don't call me love! Razz

Last edited by Cadfael on Fri May 04, 2007 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> News and views All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: