wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
More about Runcorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Photos of everything else

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: More about Runcorn Reply with quote

Hi Del and everyone else.

I've started a new thread cos there is quite a bit more to Runcorn I can tell.

As you may or may not know, I work out of a factory very near to the Runcorn Bridges and see it most days so I would like to add my two penny worth to the previous discussion.

Runcorn was famous for its 'Transporter Bridge'. It was built and came into service in 1905 and was retired in 1961 when the new suspension bridge was commissioned in the same year.

The early pictures of the bridge, do not show the railway bridge, although, I suspect it has been there a lot longer, but I have no dates on that at present. So, to start with, here are a few pictures of the Transpoter Bridge.

paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was researching about Crooke Village, I also came across this shot in a 'Lancashire Life' magazine, the picture being taken about the turn of the century taken from Victoria Gargens off Ann Street in Widnes.

My family moved from Iron Bridge in Shropshire, (another place worth a visit), in 1955 to Frodsham in Cheshire and my Father took a camera to Runcorn to capture the developments that were happening. He took these next few shots of the bridge construction.

When the bridge was nearly complete;

The last day of opperation for the Transported Bridge was on the 22nd of July 1961.

The end of an era.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more recent pictures I have taken of the two remaining bridges.

You will notice on the next to last frame, because the new bridge was considered to be too small, its deck width was increased to enable it to cope with more traffic.

The bridge is now considered to be too small and plans are on the table to build another bridge to ease traffic congestion. The planned bridge is thought to be going to be built further up stream as the next pictures will show.

The new bridge is proposed to look like this:-

If anyone else has any more pictures they would like to add, you are more than welcome.

I hope this has been interesting.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say that the views are different every day, so here are a few more showing how it can look from day to day.

This one was taken this morning.

This one Yesterday morning.

One day last week.

About two weeks ago.

and finally, one I took at the end of the day. It is a little blur but it was hand held and I wanted to get off for home. The time then was about 5:00 pm.

Paul.
Del

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the sun rise one from two weeks ago Paul, in fact its through seeing that and Vics pictures that I wanted to go, i'll have to pay another visit at sunset and try to get some night shots of it too Wink
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like a good bridge Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Photos of everything else All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: