wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Wigan Not So Blue After All
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Sports


View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
puppetman



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Wigan Not So Blue After All Reply with quote

Seems that all the talk of Wigan turning BLUE was just a load of old tripe coming from the small group of Wigan Athletic supporters last season.



Average attendances are down by 3,000 to 17,500 despite a successful campaign last season, and only 15,311 turned up to watch the narrow defeat to Arsenal on Wednesday night.

Against Sheffield Utd : Attendence: 16322

To answer Paul Jewells question "It sometimes it makes you wonder whether the Wigan public really want Premiership football. I think you have to ask that question" The Answer NO

If anyone wants to see a game of football make your way down to the JJB on the 23/12/06 and be blown away with the skill of Chelsea.

Don't let the home team put you off visiting for this game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Latouche



Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on your thinly veiled attack on the town of Wigan's Premier League football club.

I think you will find that the reason the crowds have fallen is due to a 40% price increase. People in this working class town cannot afford to pay 30 or 35 a time, sometimes twice in a week. It's more than double what it costs to watch a rugby game and a 500% increase on what people were paying 7 years ago.

As it's fifteen quid a ticket, the Chelsea game will be more or less a full house proving that Wiganers DO want Premier League football, they just cannot afford the ridiculous price hikes

I hope that answers your and Paul Jewell's question Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aspulliter



Joined: 02 Nov 2006
Posts: 830

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have put it any better mesel Laughing
_________________
The young are often ready to give to those older the benefit of their inexperience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
puppetman



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latouche wrote:
Well done on your thinly veiled attack on the town of Wigan's Premier League football club.

I think you will find that the reason the crowds have fallen is due to a 40% price increase. People in this working class town cannot afford to pay 30 or 35 a time, sometimes twice in a week. It's more than double what it costs to watch a rugby game and a 500% increase on what people were paying 7 years ago.

As it's fifteen quid a ticket, the Chelsea game will be more or less a full house proving that Wiganers DO want Premier League football, they just cannot afford the ridiculous price hikes

I hope that answers your and Paul Jewell's question Wink



15 for the Match against Chelsea is just a Dave Whelan PR stunt. People will pay and I'll be there to watch Chelsea play a real game of Premier football.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aisforandy



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppetman wrote:
Latouche wrote:
Well done on your thinly veiled attack on the town of Wigan's Premier League football club.

I think you will find that the reason the crowds have fallen is due to a 40% price increase. People in this working class town cannot afford to pay 30 or 35 a time, sometimes twice in a week. It's more than double what it costs to watch a rugby game and a 500% increase on what people were paying 7 years ago.

As it's fifteen quid a ticket, the Chelsea game will be more or less a full house proving that Wiganers DO want Premier League football, they just cannot afford the ridiculous price hikes

I hope that answers your and Paul Jewell's question Wink



15 for the Match against Chelsea is just a Dave Whelan PR stunt. People will pay and I'll be there to watch Chelsea play a real game of Premier football.


I really don't understand how you are using that as an argument - surely you're proving Latouche's point.

And for Chelsea to play a real game of premier football, surely that will comprise playing against a real premiership side. Once again, your argument eats itself.

Why support Chelsea, anyway? Aren't you a Wiganner? Or is it because they have a richer owner who pays more for players? Or because they are an established team in the Premiership for many years? Do you have any ties with Chelsea?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
puppetman



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aisforandy wrote:
puppetman wrote:
Latouche wrote:
Well done on your thinly veiled attack on the town of Wigan's Premier League football club.

I think you will find that the reason the crowds have fallen is due to a 40% price increase. People in this working class town cannot afford to pay 30 or 35 a time, sometimes twice in a week. It's more than double what it costs to watch a rugby game and a 500% increase on what people were paying 7 years ago.

As it's fifteen quid a ticket, the Chelsea game will be more or less a full house proving that Wiganers DO want Premier League football, they just cannot afford the ridiculous price hikes

I hope that answers your and Paul Jewell's question Wink



15 for the Match against Chelsea is just a Dave Whelan PR stunt. People will pay and I'll be there to watch Chelsea play a real game of Premier football.


I really don't understand how you are using that as an argument - surely you're proving Latouche's point.

And for Chelsea to play a real game of premier football, surely that will comprise playing against a real premiership side. Once again, your argument eats itself.

Why support Chelsea, anyway? Aren't you a Wiganner? Or is it because they have a richer owner who pays more for players? Or because they are an established team in the Premiership for many years? Do you have any ties with Chelsea?


I support Liverpool and to start supporting Latics now would make me a fairweather supporter and they have around 13000 of them. I Have always been a Liverpool supporter why should I change....Don't worry with the cash Latics are throwing away they will not be in the top flight for many more years....Remember that in a year or twos time before and after you make any comments now.....I don't want to say I told you SO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aisforandy



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you support Liverpool. Puppetman?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
puppetman



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aisforandy wrote:
Why do you support Liverpool. Puppetman?



It's from school days talking over 20 years of supporting the same club.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aisforandy



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but why?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
puppetman



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aisforandy wrote:
Yes, but why?


Because I like the way Liverpool play,enjoy being in a full stadium, enjoy winning (whats the point of paying to see teams lose and draw) Like Champions League Football.

I don't really like the Premier League too many small teams in the division would love to see a European League rather than play in the English League with teams like Wigan,Bolton,Everton ect ect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aisforandy



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppetman wrote:
aisforandy wrote:
Yes, but why?


Because I like the way Liverpool play,enjoy being in a full stadium, enjoy winning (whats the point of paying to see teams lose and draw) Like Champions League Football.

I don't really like the Premier League too many small teams in the division would love to see a European League rather than play in the English League with teams like Wigan,Bolton,Everton ect ect


You like the way Liverpool play? For the past 20 years? Consistent is it? Or maybe they have the same players?

The other reasons you give could be the same reasons for liking any other of the top teams in the premiership - so again - why Liverpool?

Another point - is it not possible to support 2 teams? Why be so narrowminded?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
puppetman



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aisforandy wrote:
puppetman wrote:
aisforandy wrote:
Yes, but why?


Because I like the way Liverpool play,enjoy being in a full stadium, enjoy winning (whats the point of paying to see teams lose and draw) Like Champions League Football.

I don't really like the Premier League too many small teams in the division would love to see a European League rather than play in the English League with teams like Wigan,Bolton,Everton ect ect


You like the way Liverpool play? For the past 20 years? Consistent is it? Or maybe they have the same players?

The other reasons you give could be the same reasons for liking any other of the top teams in the premiership - so again - why Liverpool?

Another point - is it not possible to support 2 teams? Why be so narrowminded?



I have and do go to some Wigan Games but it's 90min of utter rubbish foofball. I don't like to put money in Dave Whelans pocket in anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aisforandy



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hypothetically, lets say there was a mass transfer of all Liverpools players to Wigan - would you support Wigan then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DaveInFL



Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 1290
Location: Somewhere in t'US

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wigan have played some great football, both last season and this season. You only have to listen to the comments of Jose Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson, etc (You know, the guys that really know what they are talking about Very Happy) have made about Wigan to know that they are not just making the numbers up. To finish 10th last season was a great result for Wigan, and although they are struggling a little they are still playing some good football.

Wigan gave 2 Chelsea two very good games last year, and least you forget almost got a draw against them in the very first game of the year and were very unlucky to have lost to a 93rd minute wonder strike.

I too have supported Liverpool for years. Back in the late 70's and early 80's it was because of the football they played and the players they had. Such great passing football indeed. They are far from the same team today but I still support them. That doesn't stop me from supporting Wigan...even from this far a distance Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cordyline



Joined: 09 Oct 2006
Posts: 643
Location: Pem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveInFL

Aye, you tell em lad !!
The first match last season -- against Chelsea -- was worth the cost of the season ticket

I'll be there at tea-time

Come on Wigan !!!

cordy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group