wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Villagers fight to keep their slag heap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyril

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Villagers fight to keep their slag heap Reply with quote

Today on Homes Under the Hammer a house up for auction had problems with the floors, apparently builders used the ash from slag heaps to backfill the floors before laying concrete on top, however in later years problems arose because of the sulphates from the ash chemically reacting with the concrete causing dampness and heave. This got me having a search on the net for info, this article about villagers in 1957 fighting to save their slag heap caught my eye, it reminded me of the slag heap at Aspull (Wutchy Rook) that was also planted with trees and shrubs which has now naturalised into a very nice landscape, though I wonder if villagers and townsfolk alike in 1950s Wigan would have fought to keep the slag heaps that where on their doorsteps, even if they could have been landscaped.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/04/slag-heap-glamorgan-wales-1957
Cyril

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having a look on the Album for photos of the Woodshaw aka Wutchy Rook at Aspull .

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?opt=5&id=5151&gallery=New+Springs&offset=0

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?opt=5&id=27415&gallery=Aspull&offset=60

looks as though you could well get lost within that forest in the second photo. Laughing
Jo Anne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only remember climbing the Wutchy the once, Cyril, and that was twenty odd years ago.

It's certainly a picturesque place, as seen from near Top Lock:

Had it been threatened in the '50s, there are definitely some locals who'd've put up a fight:

Battle o'th Wutchy Rook - Cyril Ashurst - WW Stuff
Cyril

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never climbed up it Jo Anne, you'd probably need a machete and a jungle guide nowadays by the look of it. Laughing

It's a good poem that Jo Anne and Mr Ashurst has a good Christian name too. Very Happy

He's right about the gang of Haddocks at Top Lock too, a few of the Haddock family worked at Wigan Co-op when I did, apparently they were a very large family, the ones I knew lived in Packet House, I've often wondered when going past if any family members still lived there.
Jo Anne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wutchy features on today's Photo-a-Day Rainbow by David Smile
Cyril

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking at the photo earlier Jo Anne, a nice peaceful scene, you would never think it was once a bare heap of pit slag.
Jo Anne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you wouldn't, Cyril. A great view of it looming behind Top Lock: WW album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: