wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Theme #5 2015 - In The Garden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Photos of everything else

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I were young I started train spotting with me friends, who were interested in getting loco numbers, but I wasn't interested in collecting loco numbers, I just liked riding about on trains.
Only one day myself and another lad, we went to the Toton Rail Depot near Derby, we were only 13 years old at the time and if our parents had known where we had gone, we would have got Kilt and I don't mean anything to do with a Scottish mans skirt.

In the depot we found peak class 44 loco number D1 which was the holy grail for train spotters, along with about another 5 of the named class 44 locos.

As I remember they were

D1 -Scaffell Pike
D2 - Helvellyn
D3 - Skiddaw
D4 - Great Gable
D8 - Penyghent
D9 - Snowdon

We were quite chuffed about this, but when we told the rest of our gang of Wigan train spotters, they didn't like it and they said we were making it up, because they were jealous, so at that I didn't bother with them anymore, because I wasn't really bothered about 'numbers' I just liked trains, apart from a couple of years later, when I started to ride aboout on the East Coast Main Line, on trains hauled by the mighty Deltics, now they were a nice loco Smile

I managed over a period of time to see most of the Deltic Class 55 loco fleet, operating out of Kings Cross in London and then after that I got a fascination for the Westerner fleet operating out of Paddington in London.
Owdkewyed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I ever saw a Deltic it was pulling into North Western, I thought it was just as majestic and powerful as any steam engine and it just oozed and throbbed with power, and the size of it was also a little frightening so close up. When they cracked the throttle to pull away the whole platform shhoooook !
Any other diesels after that were just a total let down and 'wimpish' by comparison. Sad
Mick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have been better of going into the woods and climbing tree and chasing young women you would have got the same oozing and throbbing feeling.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154715975@N05/
Oy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like a Deltic... here are two I saw at Summerseat last year.

Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdkewyed wrote:
The first time I ever saw a Deltic it was pulling into North Western, I thought it was just as majestic and powerful as any steam engine and it just oozed and throbbed with power, and the size of it was also a little frightening so close up. When they cracked the throttle to pull away the whole platform shhoooook !
Any other diesels after that were just a total let down and 'wimpish' by comparison. Sad

Absolutely and at Kings Cross in London there loads of them on every platform and in the 1970's (when train fares were cheap) and I used to go half price because I was a young un, day return to London Euston was 2.20 rtn and that was half fare.

I would travel to London Euston from Wigan and then walk to St Pancras and have a look at some Peaks and then spend some time on Kings Cross looking at Deltics and then travel on a Deltic hauled train to York and then return to Wigan via Manchester Smile

In 1974 I nearly got nabbed by the child catcher at London Euston, although I was about 14 by then I only looked about 12 and after a documentary had been shown on the telly about child runaways going to London and ending up in prostitution, the London police did a crackdown and I got 'snatched' by a police squad who wanted to know what I was doing in London, luckily for me that day I had my return ticket to Wigan on me, but if I had been traveling via London, like I have just described and going to York I would have bought my ticket at Kings Cross and if I had not had a return ticket on me, I would have been hauled off into 'protective custody' whilst they asked Wigan police to check me out Shocked

That would have caused me a some problems, because my parents thought I was collecting loco numbers on a platform ticket on Wigan Northwest Station Razz

I use the words 'child catcher' because the WPC (child catcher) who was the one doing the talking to me, she just wanted a result and I knew she wanted to lock me up, she was like a vampire and it was the Sergeant who realised that I wasn't a runaway who stopped her and let me go and you could tell she was really angry with him for doing that ...
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Deltics are cool Very Happy
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick wrote:
You would have been better of going into the woods and climbing tree and chasing young women you would have got the same oozing and throbbing feeling.

Mick

When I was a bit older I did my fare share of chasing young women, trouble was I could never catch any Embarassed
Mick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
Mick wrote:

Mick

When I was a bit older I did my fare share of chasing young women, trouble was I could never catch any Embarassed

If you had come out with me you would have done alright because in them days women used to always go out in two, one nice one and one little fat one and if you was getting off with the nice one you always had to little fat one looking on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154715975@N05/
fneilrigby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
...Only one day myself and another lad, we went to the Toton Rail Depot near Derby...

Interesting. I happen to live about 2 miles from Toton Sidings , which is just on the Nottinghamshire side of the county boundary with Derbyshire. Toton is the proposed site of the East Midlands Hub on the proposed Leeds Branch of High Speed 2. If everything goes ahead it should link with the Nottingham Tram extension which is due for completion this Summer.

The Toton railway maintenance and repair facility was, at one time, jointly managed with Springs Branch Lower Ince. When my uncle retired from Springs Branch after 50 years service, the general manager from Toton made the retirement presentation for my uncle.
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fneilrigby wrote:
Gordon wrote:
...Only one day myself and another lad, we went to the Toton Rail Depot near Derby...

Interesting. I happen to live about 2 miles from Toton Sidings , which is just on the Nottinghamshire side of the county boundary with Derbyshire. Toton is the proposed site of the East Midlands Hub on the proposed Leeds Branch of High Speed 2. If everything goes ahead it should link with the Nottingham Tram extension which is due for completion this Summer.

The Toton railway maintenance and repair facility was, at one time, jointly managed with Springs Branch Lower Ince. When my uncle retired from Springs Branch after 50 years service, the general manager from Toton made the retirement presentation for my uncle.

As I remember and it was over forty years ago now, in one of the railway books I had, it gave directions on how to travel to various railway depots around the country and although I wasn't that bothered about collecting loco 'numbers' I enjoyed the adventure of visiting railway depots, because once at the depot, it was great fun getting into the depots without being caught by 'security' which was none existent in the 1970's however we were chased out of a few depots.

I only ever visited the Toton Depot once and as I remember this entailed catching a bus from Derby to somewhere ending in 'over' and then walking down a canal towpath towards the depot, it was quite an adventure and other Depots I visited included Old Oak Common (Western Region) and Finsbury Park (Eastern Region Deltic Depot) and at around about that time in the 1970's the IRA had started bombing mainland Britain and London in particular, I remember how security started being stepped up in London and on a second visit to Finsbury Park, we got well and truly nabbed by security and kicked out of the Depot, on the first visit there was no security at all.

My trainspotting days ended when I turned 16 and I got a 'Ped' a Yam FS1E Very Happy
Owdkewyed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet you wish you still had the 'Fizzie' now, worth quite a bit, funny the things that become valuable over the years. I bought my 'Goldie' for 150 in 68 and got the same money as a trade in on my first 'Commando', should have just covered it all over in grease and stored it somewhere safe, the damn things are fetching up to 20 grand now Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . I wish I had 20/20 hindsight.
arrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot of the cat Oy.

Neil we've got some similar pink flowers in our garden.
fneilrigby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
...and then walking down a canal towpath towards the depot...
That would be the Erewash Canal. Toton Sidings lies in the Erewash Valley where the River Erewash, Erewash Canal and the main line railway run parallel and within a few yards of each other.
fneilrigby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrow wrote:
... we've got some similar pink flowers in our garden.

Yes David they look very similar. I don't know what they are called.
I like the softness of the pinks in your photo and sharpness of the stamens and stigma of the flower.

The flowers in my photos are about 3/4" across, a couple of which can be seen in this pic:
Oy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotch Broom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Photos of everything else All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: