wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Hello from Belfast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Say hello or practice posting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liscoole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Hello from Belfast Reply with quote

Hello Good people of Wigan!

I am seeking help in tracing my husband's ancestors, who were reportedly from Wigan.

James Wilkinson born 1871 in or around Wigan, married Annie McKee in Belfast in 1895, St Patrick's RC church.

James enlisted in the 2nd Battalion Dorset Regiment on 23 June 1892 at Dorchester and was sent over to Belfast shortly after where he met and married Annie. They had two children James Henry born 1894 and Adeline Annie born in Malta 1897. A further child born in Portland in 1905 was stillborn and is buried in the naval cemetery there.

I have been unable to find any trace of James in the English census collection and have therefore been unable to trace his parentage. His marriage certificate states his father to be James Wilkinson, a beer seller.
His own occupation prior to enlistment is given as "collier" though he did become a shoemaker after retiring from the army. He died in Belfast in 1906. His religion was R.C.
We know he served in the Boer War and was evacuated out in May 1900 due to illness or injury and won 2 clasps plus the QSA medal. (Relief of Ladysmith and Tugela Heights)

If any could help with tracing his roots or help with resources that might be useful in the search, I would love to hear from you.

Many thanks
prayter pie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't help you with your task but would just like to welcome you to Wigan World. I'm sure that if anyone can help, they will be sure to let you know. Best of luck, Dave.
liscoole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave that is very kind of you Smile
prayter pie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably get a lot more viewings if you put it on the communicate section Wink
Cyril

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello liscoole, welcome to wiganworld, I've put a link to your request onto the People Board of the Communicate Section, hopefully someone on there will be able to help in your quest. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Say hello or practice posting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: