wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
quarenteened

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: quarenteened Reply with quote

My anti virus software has detected a security threat on my computer and quarantined it. So where it was usually say threat removed it says quarantined instead, what does it mean?
Cadfael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just means it the file has been placed in a special folder where it cannot run (or execute)... it has not been deleted, just not allowed to effect the system. In a perfect world you can forget about it, it can do no harm. However it could be your virus software has given a false positive, reported a file as infected when in fact it may not be. Quarantining will let you test out if everything runs okay before you decide to remove it. It could just a file that the internet needs to identify you on certain websites, like a cookie. Or it could nasty.

What anti-virus software do you use? And what is the message?
samba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello cadfael, not heard you around for a while hope you are well, thanks for the info.
i ran a virus check, a few where found and removed with a low security risk, When i clicked on details for this one risk was high and a note said this file(or was it virus?) has been quarantined
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: