wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
old computer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
standishgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: old computer Reply with quote

I have been given a very old packard bell computer with windows 95 on it, i want to connect to virgin broadband will i need to upgrade it?
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much that you will be able to connect it to Broadband, by comparison it would be like trying to get digital or satellite TV on a 1950's valve operated television. It wouldn't be able to cope with the speed of Broadband either as they had dial up modems with a downloading speed of around 28mbs which was fast back then, and it may cost more to have it upgraded than to purchase a reconditioned modern computer.

Have a word with D & G computers at the bottom of Standishgate, next door to the Griffin, they are very good and won't rip you off.

Good luck. Smile
standishgirl

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, have scapped the whole idea know and getting a new one, so does anybody know where i can off load an old pc to? The computer shop near me wouldnt take it
JimmyW

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freecycle Smile
thesurgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any council dump will have a collection point for old electrical equipment.
stjon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to chip in but I have to say that I can't agree with Cyril's recommendation of D&G computers. I went to them to buy 2 motherboard jumper pins - these are U shaped bits of plastic about 2 mm across. I needed 2 but thought that because they would probably give me them as a freebie, or at most charge 10p each, I asked for 4. I was so shocked when he charged me 5 (!!) that I just paid up...Bear in mind that was about 6 years ago, and they are still available for 5p each mail order!

I swore I would never use them again and warn others away from them - the revenge of the dissatisfied customer! Having said that, Cyril may have had better experiences with them....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: