wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Full hard drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie7457

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Full hard drive Reply with quote

My PC keeps flashing the message 'Hard disk space critical', then tells me I have 2mb of space left. I have very little stored on the drive, it's 30gb, and about half is taken up with programmes and operating system etc. I have looked through the properties of all files and cannot find out why it should be saying it's full. I have done disk clean up and defragemented the drive, any ideas please?
MOLLIE M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie

I'm no computer wizard by any means, but have you cleaned up History and Cookies in Tools? Every site you visit remains stored in your hard drive and should be cleared out at least once a month, if not more often. Make sure you have passwords written down before doing this though as they will be lost during this process. It may not help your "hard disc" problem, but it won't hurt either. Very Happy

If you don't get a reply soon, I'll contact TheSurgeon to help, who's pretty good at this sort of stuff. Smile

thesurgeon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, 30gb is considered a little small these days for all the stuff we have on our pc's, but saying that, if its been ok up to now, then you need to get back some of the space you once had that MAY be taken up by things you dont need to keep.
Such as Mollie has intimated to > temporary files, browsing history, cookies and such.
Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > INTERNET OPTIONS (via Network and internet, or from the drop down box under 'tools' on your browser).
On the GENERAL TAB under BROWSING HISTORY click DELETE > DELETE.
This will free up quite a bit of space if its not been done for a while, and more importantly it will make your pc run faster.
Remove any programmes you no longer use or want, using the uninstall/remove programmes function.
Another option, would be to store all your photo's, music, and files you want to keep on a disk or memory stick.
Ultimately, you will need a bigger hard drive than 30gb, and they are relatively inexpensive these days, or even an external hard drive to store onto, leaving your 30gb drive free for just the operating system and programmes.
eddie7457

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesurgeon, thanks for advice. I had already deleted cookies, temp internet files, history etc. No difference. Yesterday, I removed all programmes I don't use, the hdd is still showing as full. I removed hundreds of megabytes worth of stuff. Operating system and installed programmes take up about 12 gig, I have no more than 2 gig of files (Photos, word docs etc), I already use an 80gig external drive for storing my files. This is usb operated, but all my usb ports keep giving the massage 'usb not recognised', and tells me my external drive may be faulty. The drive works OK on my laptop so I know it's not faulty. One thing, when deleting unwanted progs, I came across a video player that was slowing my PC down because it was always busy in the background, so at least everything has speeded up a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: