wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Wire-less compatable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Wire-less compatable Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me, how I can find out if my PC is "wire-less" compatable. Please. RR
DaveInFL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, if it's a desktop then as long as you have a free PCI slot you can buy a wireless card. I'm not sure if there are USB wireless cards, but that wouldn't surprise me.

If it's a laptop then check under control panel, system, hardware, Device Manager. Look under network adapters and see if you have a wireless one listed.
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Wire-less Reply with quote

Cheers for that Dave. Should be able to sort that from your info. RR
Roobarb and Custard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Rogers, if you go to start, control panel, network connections you will be able to see all connections your computer has. If you right click them and view properties if it is wireless there will be a wireless tab across the top. (Win xp)
Other windows like win 98, i think it's start, settings, control panel.

UK Business Directory www.Eyes4Biz.com

ASKNikon http://www.asknikon.com

Gallery http://500px.com/ShootMe
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Wireless Reply with quote

I did as you suggested and found that I have Via compatable fast ethernet adapter. RR
DaveInFL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sounds like wireless to me Roy. That's probably just a regular RJ-45 network connector.
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire-less compatable Reply with quote

Roy Rogers wrote:
Can anybody tell me, how I can find out if my PC is "wire-less" compatable. Please. RR

It would be very unlikely that a PC is already Wireless Enabled.

However, if it's been bought in the past couple of years or so, then there should be no problem at all making it "Wireless".

It's either install a WiFi PCI Card in a spare slot inside the case, or plug in a USB WiFi Adapter.

What make/model is your PC.

Are you then needing to buy a Wireless Cable or ADSL Router?

Cheers.
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Wire-less Reply with quote

My Pc is a AMD Celeron 2.53. Its one year old. The reason I am trying to find out is to do with Sky Broadband, they supply a free router but your pc needs to be wire-less compatable. Sky also say that if your pc is not compatable they can sell you what you need. I think it would be cheaper if I took it to "Playmedia" where I bought it, as its still under gaurentee. RR
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wire-less Reply with quote

Roy Rogers wrote:
My Pc is a AMD Celeron 2.53. Its one year old. The reason I am trying to find out is to do with Sky Broadband, they supply a free router but your pc needs to be wire-less compatable. Sky also say that if your pc is not compatable they can sell you what you need. I think it would be cheaper if I took it to "Playmedia" where I bought it, as its still under gaurentee. RR

Hi Roy,

I've just been reading the bumf on the Sky Website.

When you sign-up, you get a free Wireless Router - excellent stuff.

This means that you can connect to the Internet if you have Wireless PCs or Laptops. What I also see is that the Router has 4 Ethernet ports. This means that you can connect upto 4 "wired" devices. Your PC already has an Ethernet port. So if your Telephone point and PC are in the same room you could directly plug in to the Router which itself will be plugged in to the telephone point ADSL filter.

Even if you are going totally wireless, you still have to plug directly into the Wireless Router at the start, in order to set it up first.

Cheers.
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everybody, thanks for the info. RR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: