wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Tesco - cheap beer - peoples welfare at heart ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Tesco - cheap beer - peoples welfare at heart ? Reply with quote

Yeah right, to my mind Tesco have got in first saying that yes the price has to go up to stop binge drinking.

They are trying to be concerned for our welfare, thats good of them !

1/ They will just make more profit as the buying in price will remain the same.

2/ The media have given them loads of free advertising, its been a PR hit, no payments with loads of exposure for the brand that is ruling all our shopping habits.

Cool
Tonker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a fool would buy beer at Tesco's inflated prices.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a fool would buy enough beer to be affected by the changes that may be made.
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be out of the loop here, because the last I heard on the news regarding Tesco was that they refused to raise prices on alcohol?

What they said was for them to increase their prices of their own bat would be commercial suicide, and for them to get together with the other supermarkets and come to agreement to raise prices would actually be illegal. They have said that any increase should be through taxation, thereby showing just who is behind the this stupid thinking... the government.

If the increase is through taxation (as seem very likely it WILL be), it will be our government that profits, not any supermarket chain.

Now think about this! There has been a drastic loss of revenue on the sale of draught beers in pub's since the smoking ban. That need to made up. I agree that SOMETHING must be done about drunken yobs on our streets. But the government is using this issue to recoup the shortfall in revenue on pub sales by passing it over to off licence sales.

If you want to talk about someone ripping us off... look to Westminster first. And the tragic fact is, even when the price of off sales does go up it will do NOTHING to stop the problem. There will still be drunken yobs, but I and other responsible drinkers will be paying (literally) for their stupidity.

My new laws to combat yob drinking.

No under 18 shall be allowed to drink alcohol unless in the company of a PARENT... not just any adult, but a PARENT or legal guardian. if they drink without a parent... they are fined, and so are the parents.

Any storekeeper who is proven to knowingly sell alcohol to under 18 be closed down... not fined, but banned from trading. When an offie makes over 10,000 a month... a 1000 fine is NOTHING!.. shut them down, take away their livelihood. That may actually make them take notice.

Any other adult apart from a parent buying alcohol for kids is breaking the law, and will be arrested and fined... heavily!

Make the law clearer. if an under 18 year old cannot buy booze, it should also mean they cannot drink it (unless with a parent) nor be in possession of it without a parent. As it stands now they cannot buy it, but they break no law when they drink it... BONKERS!

If they cause bother... make them pay, and make their parent pay... that way maybe parents will be forced to take some responsibility? Why the Hell should I be made responsible for other kids by paying more for my ale? Birching sounds good, and bugger the European Courts!

See, if you vote for me I will punish the offenders, I will not make everyone pay for these braindeads.
Tonker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenue is applied to 'Alcohol', not to the drink. The rate used to be around 19 per litre (duty) plus vat. So, it follows that the duty on a pint of weak beer, as served in a pub, isn't going to be much.
This is where the catch is.
If the Government wanted to stop binge drinking by increasing prices, they'd just increase the duty on alcohol. But, if they did that, the drinks of the 'top knobs' would be drastically increased because Cognacs and Whiskies all contain 10 to 12 times more alcohol that pub beer.

That would be unheard of, Sir!
Cadfael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good point that.

But they will get around it some way, by classing ales, spirits and wines in their own groups and having a tax band for each of them. God forbid some politician in Westminster Palace has to pay over the odds for his G&T, which by the way he enjoys with a cigar... in the warmth. It would seem that those who frequent the Royal Palaces of the land are immune from secondary smoking.

Do not forget, it is not simply the tax on alcohol they need to recoup, the tax on tobacco due to people giving up smoking since the smoking ban in pubs. They are out to get it from boozers... and once they have done it and a lot of people have gone on the wagon because they are being ripped off... the revenue will fall again. Then they will turn to motorist to recoup that.

And all because the govt has given to much power to bleeding heart liberals.
Garnet76

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding businesses being fined for serving alcohol to a minor, it is not just the business that gets fined-it is the individual who served the minor!! That's why I am so careful to ask for ID from anybody who I suspect to be under 21-as a mother of 5 I certainly can't afford to be on the receiving end!! Our company policy is also to ID EVERYBODY in a group buying alcohol, not just the person buying it, which as you can imagine gets us a fair bit of stick off the general public. Even if we have people WITH ID showing that they are over 18, but one of their group doesn't, they don't get the ale-and if we think someone who is obviously old enough to buy alcohol is supplying it to a minor-i.e if the kids are shopping with their parents and say-oh you've picked the wrong one up, that's the one i like-so we think the youngsters are going to be drinking the ale, the parents don't get served either-at least they're not supposed to!!!
We do get jip over it, but our managers back us up if we have any problems-once someone has been refused they won't get served unless they come back with ID!!
Val

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why should adults wanting a cheap night in have to pay for kids getting rat arsed? Quite simply a prove it ID card for under 25's should suffice. I am an adult of more than half a century and I think I should be able to make my own life choices. Those who are most well off will be totally unaffected cos they don't buy cheap ale to start with. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Tonker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadfael said, back in February, ..... '...But they will get around it some way, by classing ales, spirits and wines in their own groups and having a tax band for each of them. ...'

And, do you know what? they've done just that!

(psssst., cadfael, what's the lottery numbers for next saturday)?
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonker wrote:
Cadfael said, back in February, ..... '...But they will get around it some way, by classing ales, spirits and wines in their own groups and having a tax band for each of them. ...'

And, do you know what? they've done just that!

(psssst., cadfael, what's the lottery numbers for next saturday)?

28, 11, 01, 06, 48, 36.... (26)

Of course you do know... I just posted those at random, but I sooooo gonna have to give them a shot this week! Very Happy

As regard the tax... something had to happen. This govt has so much lost tax revenue to recoup because they have pandered to bleeding heart liberals (they have taken a massive loss in tobacco revenue). But the daft thing is... even though they realise they have to hit responsible drinkers for the shortfall, they still pander to bleeding hearts with this stupid program of curbing binge drinking by raising the prices... thereby ensuring casual drinkers will drink less... reducing revenue... thus the tax will have to raise further.

My next prediction... despite road blocks and strikes and no amount of cars parked in front of oil terminals...... drivers will get it full in the jugular next... under the very same conditions, the tree huggers hate cars... lets get them of the road!

The govt has to to put out a fire, and feed the flames.
Aspulliter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew I really started something with my original post !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> News and views All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: