wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Sky broadband

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Sky broadband Reply with quote

Anybody know owt abowt Sky broadband. Got a letter from them this morning explaining their new offers to existing sky veiwers.
There will be three tiers Basic 2mb download 2GB monthly limit. 40 Connection. Free
Med 8mb Download, 40GB Limit mth 20 Connction 5 Month
Max 16mb Download unlimited Free Connection 10 Month
You can install it yourself or have it installed for 50

All three offers get a free router (Wireless)
The Max offer looks good to me as I am paying 12.49 for Tiscali 2MB unlimited at the moment.
Thoughtys anyone Jmc
WezXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO There has to be a catch somewhere.

oh an btw their "unlimted" package is subject to a fair usage policy which doesn't sound like its unlimited in the true sense.

I don't think I'll be ditching Blueyonder any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Sky Broadband Reply with quote

The only catch is you have to be a current Sky subscriber.
You can also download any film and sporting clips showing on Sky to your PC. I dont mind the fair usage policy, i'm on that now with Tiacali, I dont use it much in peak period anyway. RR
DaveInFL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the broadband come in through the dish then? If so then I would suspect that it will be affect by bad weather. Not too sure what it's like back home but here in the US (Florida in particular) the satellite goes out 1-4 times per month (maybe 10-20 mins each time) due to thunderstorms.

The Max sounds pretty good, but 16MB download is sooooo much, are you sure you'll use that much download? Then again, for 10 quid a month that's a good deal.
WezXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah they bought out Easynet (iirc) a while ago, its ADSL that requires a BT line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have registered for Sky Broadband but cos I am on Blueyonder I am waiting for someone to ring me! I think it comes through the digibox but not sure
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: sky broadband Reply with quote

No it doesn't come thru the sat dish(sniffs of a wind up) It arrives thru a BT phone line.

The offers I put on before were for Excisting Sky Customers.
I was also informed that my area was not compatable yet, could be about 6 months,RR
M.G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no wind up I have Sky+ and I got a letter this morning but I have a Telewest phone line. Cos it does not mention anywhere in the letter about a BT line, I thought it would work like cable with a set top box Cool
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Sky broadband Reply with quote

Sorry about the mention of BT phoneline, I read the letter again and they offer you a Sky Broadband" connect" package thru a BT line until your area comes under the Sky network. RR
M.G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be sorry! it is not clear how they are going to deliver the service and they still have not rung me! If it is thru the box it's very cheap at 10 for 16gb
Cadfael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WezXL wrote:
IMHO There has to be a catch somewhere.

oh an btw their "unlimted" package is subject to a fair usage policy which doesn't sound like its unlimited in the true sense.

I don't think I'll be ditching Blueyonder any time soon.

Me neither, it is unlimited in the true sense of the word. How can you have a fair usage policy on a system that is always connected? Even when you are not using the connection there is always traffic back and forth. However, I must say a 16mb conn for 10 a month is a really good deal on the surface. But there must be a catch I reckon somewhere, but I am a born synic!

ALso... BY have kept up with the competition, as faster packages have become availabe from other companies BY have responded. It is a fair bit more expensive than other systems... but I began with a 512k connection, they upgraded that at no extra charge to a 1.5mb conn, then a last year they upped it to 4mb, again with no extra charge to me.
DaveInFL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds good.

I'm paying about $38 / month for my connection Sad

6MB down and 768 up. For me the up is important too.

For some reason broadband prices here in the US really haven't changed much in 4-5 years, which I find amazing.

I know that Verizon are working on some fiberoptic broadband which is supposed to be the dogs doo dahs, but who knows when that will become available.
M.G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will just have to wait and see what they come up with. The registration online confirmation email says it will be early August when they tell us when it will be happening. They are also offering 12 months free McAFee which I don't really rate, prefer PC Guard
Roy Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Sky Broadband Reply with quote

Personally I think they are falling in line with all the other companys that are offering 3 for 30. I must say that if it supplied thru dish I hope it wont go off and stutter when bad weather hits us. Sometimes it is very bad. RR
M.G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there is that, no good if it keeps going off! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: