wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
sale of Wigan R.L.F.C.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small town, big football team, but Wigan just wouldn't be the same without it's rugby!
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodders wrote:

Of course. How would being right or wrong change that? It appears to me that what you have stated is your desire rather than an accurate prediction. I hope that one day you will see that there is room in the town and the stadium for 2 top flight clubs.

I have no desire for WW to go the same way as Orrell RU. But yet, anything that a certain someone has dealings with, seems to go down the pan.
rodders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Townofmemories wrote:
rodders wrote:

Of course. How would being right or wrong change that? It appears to me that what you have stated is your desire rather than an accurate prediction. I hope that one day you will see that there is room in the town and the stadium for 2 top flight clubs.

I have no desire for WW to go the same way as Orrell RU. But yet, anything that a certain someone has dealings with, seems to go down the pan.

Oh I see. Sorry, I probably spoke out of turn. For a moment there you sounded like some of the brain dead latics fans* that aren't able to say a single good word about WiganRL.

I don't think that would happen at all for many reasons. Most significantly are the the contractual obligations that Whelco have committed to with the stadium. Other than that it makes business sense to utilise the stadium as much as possible.

I also don't blame DW for the demise of Orrell but that's getting waaaay off topic.

* And I am more than aware that they are not all like that.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong again. My sidings are with WWRLFC believe it or not, however, it has done my confidence no good whatsoever seeing what has gone on these past few seasons. I think the basis of what the team was has been taken out, by people who seemed to not care about the clubs heritage and history. The mismanagement of the club has sent it further down the pan in the last few seasons than the Division 2 stint ever did. When the team is mentioned these days, the first thing thought about 9 out of 10 times is either the salary cap breaches, or the habit of releasing promising young stars, and signing average foreigners that are past their prime.
Drumer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Park is what the town has lost, that will never ever be replaced in a stadium in Newtown.

History and Heritage has been mentioned,how true! Where's that gone?

Central Park should have been developed to carry the history and heritage along with the moden venue of any thing that was to be staged in the town as well as rugby. I.E. Latics, Pop Concerts,Athletics/field events, even the "Last Night Of The Proms" could have been staged in the Town Centre.

Wigan does need supermarkets,but did they have to be in Greenough St.
There are sites in and around Wigan that would improve the location if supermarkets were built on them.

But to drop them down upon That few acres of Heritage is unbelievable.

Too late now,the damage has been done.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumer wrote:
Central Park is what the town has lost, that will never ever be replaced in a stadium in Newtown.

History and Heritage has been mentioned,how true! Where's that gone?

Central Park should have been developed to carry the history and heritage along with the moden venue of any thing that was to be staged in the town as well as rugby. I.E. Latics, Pop Concerts,Athletics/field events, even the "Last Night Of The Proms" could have been staged in the Town Centre.

Wigan does need supermarkets,but did they have to be in Greenough St.
There are sites in and around Wigan that would improve the location if supermarkets were built on them.

But to drop them down upon That few acres of Heritage is unbelievable.

Too late now,the damage has been done.

IMO, the atmosphere of CP will never be at the JJB, which is a loss for us all.
davewigan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing people can't blame dave whelen for is the demise of central park !

as for the salary cap fiasco maybe people are blaming the wrong people.

the club was docked points for using a legal move to off set contract payments

the rfl have admited as much by saying they can spend the money already acounted for in 2006 that was never actually spent

wigan where not the only club who used this rule before it was revoked last season hence them getting the panel to use the 2006 rules

they where done for breaching the spirit of the cap not for breaching any rules or the cap itself ( there is a difference) the other two teams who have done this in 2006 have never had a case to answer brought by the RFL

as for the latics fans rubbing there hands wishing and hoping for the dimise of WRLFC maybe you should be careful what you wish for as it may just come back to haunt you
JohnC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard a little rumour, from someone "on the inside" that this possible sale to the chap who has something to do with a rugby club in London may not happen.

Apparently, once he takes over he wants to keep all the money that they make through corporate hospitality for himself / the rugby club. Whelan , obviously, isn't having any of this and he wants all the money from catering on match days. A compromise has been discussed but so far the London chap has only offered Whelan 4 per person, which he isn't willing to accept.

Would be very sad if the sale didint go through over an argument over who got the pie money.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the "pie money" though, it's the stadium rights too... As I said in a previous post.
davewigan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all done and dusted as from dec 1st

and its really good to see the latics fans right <doh>

options in place to stay at the jjb till 2050
thesurgeon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian lenagan has actually gone to the trouble of joining the warriors fans forum, and has outlined the deal on such.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=323408

He has also conducted a video interview setting out his plans.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=3378
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: