wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Wigan Not So Blue After All
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davewigan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They may seem minor, but Latics fans have been used to battling the press and ignorance for many years. We are finally making some headway, but misinformatin and cliches still slip through the net."

The fact Rugby league in this country has had to battle years of ignorance from the media seems to miss you all together ? football is the no 1 sport in this country and has the media back up to prove it
untill recently league was the second best spectator sport but found it hard to get any media attention at all
yet union and the 6 nations is all over the papers and telivision

so to claim bias against football in the media is a little gauling

"there were 6000 from Warrington, 1500+ from Hull, but zero from Harlequins. The Harlequins attendance, however, was boosted by Latics season ticket holders recieving free tickets, I picked up three myself for friends"

the same can be said about the watford game where warriors fans where given tickets to the game to bolster the crowd

the simple fact is your lowest away attendance is 500 warriors is more like 150
latics play more matches so have more chance of higher attendancies over the season and on average football teams will bring more away support being the biggest sport in the UK

"RU's battle is not with football, but RU, a game thats expanding rapidly"

i wasn't aware rugby union was battling in Wigan for anything ?

another way of showing they are different sports and that is what league would like to get people to acknowledge that its a seperate sport and does not have to comapre itself with any one thats for other people to do like yourselves !

by the way rugby union and football consider themselves as worldwide sports yes there are still only three sides that could win a world cup in union and four that could do the same in football

the only sports thats getting a foot hold outside the usual countrys in recent times is league being played in austria all the old russia where 27k watched a game between colleges america germany spain isreal lebonon and others

As for football peaking (moot point seeing as it's played in 95% of the world), you seem to be ignoring, potentially, the biggest football market in the world, the US of A, a market that is about to explode.

this made me laugh that was the same sentiment when the usa first had major league socer with best playing

yes its taken off in the last 20 years you hardley hear people mention nfl or basball over there now do you ??
pie in the sky springs to mind

but the fact remains latics play football and if you want to compare them sompare them with bolton or preston

wigan play rugby league so compare then with warrington or st helens

neither teams could be compared to sale or leciester neither should or could be compared to england league union or football as they are club teams

maybe its hard for some people to understand but different means they are not the same

so for all latics fans enjoy your choosen sport and be happy that latics are doing ok in the top flight and mixing it with the best of English football

for all warriors fans enjoy your sport and the fact they are playing against the best teams in rugby league
SAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'the simple fact is your lowest away attendance is 500 warriors is more like 150
latics play more matches so have more chance of higher attendancies over the season and on average football teams will bring more away support being the biggest sport in the UK '

Individual games don't matter one little bit, it is the average.

More games is a disadvantage when talking averages, more cash to pay out, often at all times of the day/week.

The Warriors have a compact schedule, weekend games, a majority of local derbies, and Saints/Warrington twice at home.

Latics may play more games, and the lowest away support is 500, but out of a schedule of 19 games, at least 10 have away suport under 1500, only Liverpool, Everton, United and Newcastle have sold out.

The Warriors play 14 or so regular season games, only Catalan, Harlequins and Wakefield will bring less than 800-1000, while you will have 4 away sellouts against Saints and Warrington.

Last edited by SAH on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
JohnC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the general press ignorance of rugby league isnt a good thing but it's been getting better and better over the years. Now the only coverage that Rugby gets over Rugby League is the Six Nations. If league held a similar competition every year then it WOULD get the same coverage.

The press ignorance toward Wigan has been a major problem over the years and something Latics need to fight back against - not just national media who have a perception of whippets, flat caps and clogs.

See the WEP headline "Wigan Pathetic" in the lead up to the Gillingham play-off final and certain establishments having huge "Good Luck Gillingham" signs hanging from their windows.

Fortunately now Wigan Athletic are in a position to fight back against these nationwide prejudices. However, they could do a little more in the town to combat these. That will come in time though.
catflap

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAH wrote:
catflap wrote:
The title of this thread "Wigan not so blue"

It's true, like it or not Wigan is a rugby town always has been always will be.

I wish latics no harm and wish them every success but all the staunch latics fans i know preferred it more in the championship!

Now this i can understand. The best they can hope for in the prem is mid table, or to avoid relegation. There "Nirvana" would be to get a european spot, however this is the stuff of pipe dreams.

In the championship the latics were a top team, challenging for honours each season and their crowds were never an issue. As much as i hate to say it, latics will not be able to build a solid team because no one wants to come to a little town to play prem fotball.
As soon as they get known off they go,

Now with RL the supporters know that Wigan will come good and win silverware and give their supporters a day out at wembley.

As i said i wish latics all the best in the prem and i hope they prove me wrong as i follow their progress in every game they play.

However, they are mixing it with the big boys now!

Thanks for your ill informed, cliche ridden comments, great contribution.

I take it you chse to ignore every single point I made above, you know, like the HUGE number of youngsters who now supprt Latics, the fact the club are growing massively on and off the field etc. Shouldn't the club be complemented on the fact the vast majority of under 12's in the town are Latics supprters, unlike their fathers, grandfathers etc.

Wgan is a town with a 'big' (relatively) RL team in a small time sport (in the national context), and a young, growing, football team in an international game.

If you think soprt is worthless unless you are winning silverware, thats very sad. There's huge merit for a team like Wigan to punch above their weight in the higher divisions of the national sport.

For your information Latics were only in the Champinship for two seasons, and lwere ooked down upon by the the established teams in that league.

Some people don't have any vision, they're stuck in their old ways, Latics have actually progressed, we're not stuck in the early 90's!

A few years back RL fans and rival football fans slated Latics for 'buying' promotion up the leagues, losing millions in the process, they said it couldn't be sustained and we'd crash and burn.

However, once we reached the Premiership we made a ?9m profit, and will pay off ALL of our debts if we stay up this season, including paying for our share of the JJB Stadium!

As for Wigan being a rugby town, I guess your ignoring the fact Latics averaged 6000 more than the Warriors last season, and will average 2500-3000 more this season, despite the huge increase in ticket prices.

Next season, crowds would be back up past 20k.

Isn't it amazing how post after post slates Latics crowds, stating they're 'poor', an 'issue' etc. ignoring the fact we will be averaging 18k+ by the end of the season, on a par with the likes of Blackburn, and bigger than the RL team, all this despite averaging 1500 and being almost bankrupt 10 years ago!

Talk about harsh criticism, anyone would think these people are jealous.

Edit, just read the post above, by that I'm assuming your a Bolton fan, if so, nuff said!

What a fool you are. I was actually standing up for the latics. Read the thread Rolling Eyes fool.
________
Medical marijuana patient

Last edited by catflap on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
SAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With friends like you who needs enemies!

Rolling out the same old, ill informed cliches.

Patronising 'let's pat little Wigan on the back' support is not welcome.

Wigan as a club can emulate Bolton, Charlton, Blackburn, Fulham, Boro etc. and, at worst, become a yoyo club between the Premiership/Championship.

Wigan are in with the 'big boys', and are not only holding their own, but growing stronger on and off the field.

I realise many who slate Latics support the big four, so don't see the merit in supporting a club who are not challengin for silverware.

Maybe it takes a little imagination not to fall into the trap of being an armchair United, Liverpol etc, fan.
catflap

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god. You really are deluded Rolling Eyes Emulate Bolton, Blackburn etc well thats something to look forward to.. Laughing

Armchair top four fan, think not!
Went to the Wigan Watford game earlier in the season and to be honest it was better entertainment watching the pigeons flying in the stands!!!
________
MARIJUANA SEED

JohnC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catflap showing his true colours now.

That didn't take long. Razz
SAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catflap wrote:
My god. You really are deluded Rolling Eyes Emulate Bolton, Blackburn etc well thats something to look forward to.. Laughing

Yes it is, any true football/sporting fan understands were I'm coming from.

If you think surviving in the Premiership, even Championship, is not something to be proud of, considering were Latics came from, well, what can i say...........
catflap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAH wrote:
catflap wrote:

If you think surviving in the Premiership, even Championship, is not something to be proud of, considering were Latics came from, well, what can i say...........

Look i agree with you that latics have done well to get to where they are Rolling Eyes What i am saying is, if all you have to look forward to is "surviving" than that aint worth a blow of a rag mans trumpet! People in Iraq are surviving ask them how great it is!!
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

SAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catflap wrote:
SAH wrote:
catflap wrote:

Look i agree with you that latics have done well to get to where they are Rolling Eyes What i am saying is, if all you have to look forward to is "surviving" than that aint worth a blow of a rag mans trumpet! People in Iraq are surviving ask them how great it is!!

Thats your take, I guess fans of 95% of sporting teams have got it wrong.

You need to experience the lows to appreciate the highs.
davewigan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought when people where on about local derby's bigging up the averages

warriors have :-warrington and st helens as local teams

latics have :- Bolton Blackburn man utd man city liverpool everton
Antwigan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angel face wrote:
Have just got back from the match. Wigan were absolutely brilliant and it really gets on my nerves when Wiganers slag them and their supporters off because we don't support rugby. I for one, always wish Wigan Rugby well when they are playing even if i'm not a rugby fan. Pity the rugby fans can't do the same. Personally I think they are actually watching the match on Sky and just pretending that they are not interested (why sit through 90mins of something you can't stand watching ?). By the way, my feet have not yet defrosted. Had a great day though.

Ha ha just found this whilst trawling through the boards. Now me knowing you I for one know you like rugby. So come clean Angela. In fact any mention on RL forums of soccer is a no no. Because its a rugby board. And all it does is get peoples back up. So there is no need to talk about it much at all.
Ant x
angel face

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant , I don't like rugby. Just rugby players !! Wink Wink Wink Any way, regardless of how Wigan have been playing I have not been one of those so called fans who have been deserting the groung with 15 minutes to go. I stay till the end. I think they will win on Saturady and stay in the Premership but even if they don't i will still go and support them. Ange x
Antwigan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angel face wrote:
Ant , I don't like rugby. Just rugby players !! Wink Wink Wink Any way, regardless of how Wigan have been playing I have not been one of those so called fans who have been deserting the groung with 15 minutes to go. I stay till the end. I think they will win on Saturady and stay in the Premership but even if they don't i will still go and support them. Ange x

You love it. Yes you do. Oh yes......YOU LOVE .......IT. x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: