wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
ashton off to union

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davewigan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: ashton off to union Reply with quote

Ashton's RU wages out of reach

UNION BOUND: Chris Ashton

Previous PreviousNext Next
View Gallery"For us to beat (union) would make him our highest paid player"
Quote By : Maurice LindsayBy Peter Aspinall
Maurice Lindsay today
insisted it would be wrong to try to equal the 140,000-a-year that will take Chris
Ashton to rugby union.
The Wigan chairman says the huge sum would have bust the club's salary cap wide open and destabilised the wages structure.
Lindsay revealed beating Northampton RU Club's offer would have made 19-year-old Ashton the highest-paid player at the JJB Stadium, which was too much to pay a player of relatively limited experience.
Warriors did offer Ashton a two-year deal on the same money as Sean O'Loughlin and Gareth Hock were receiving at similar stages of their developing careers.

But this was turned down and Ashton will switch codes at the end of the season, a move Lindsay believes is a mistake.
He said: "We were rocked to learn from Chris' agent Andrew Clarke that he has been offered 140,000-a-year by Northampton.
"For us to beat that would make him our highest paid player and that's not right for such a young man still making his way in the game.
"It's also wrong to leapfrog him over players such as Sean O'Loughlin just to keep him out of the hands of rugby union.

"Brian Noble, who has talked to both Chris and his father, agrees with me on this one.We can't possibly pay him so much at this stage of his career.
"It would bust the salary cap wide open, would not be fair to our more experienced and senior players and would destabilise our wage structure at the club.
"I also think that to go into rugby union now is a mistake for Chris and the is rushing into into it.
"It would have been better if he had waited until he was about 23 or 24 when he was further up the rugby league ladder and thought about it then.

"Rugby union is a difficult game to learn and being paid so much will mean he will come under intense scrutiny.
"Union commentators are quick to rubbish ex-league players they seem to revel in it. It took established masters of the art such as Jason Robinson and Gary Connolly some time to convince the many sceptics after struggling for a while."
Ashton, who is out of contract in September, appeared in Warriors' 25-6 victory at Salford on Friday.
Lindsay added: "It is sad Chris is leaving us and I do wish him success and there are no grudges.
"He follows young talent such as Karl Pryce and Chev Walker into union and the RFL should be worried about that."

personally i think its a mistake

but if he can get the money who would turn it down even for a team that could get religated this season and still pay him 140,000 a year
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have given the lad a lifetime contract. I for one think he will be sorely missed.
H.Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Lyndsay thinks that young Ashton is wrong to take the money!
When did Maurice ever refuse the opportunity to make some money?
Good luck to the lad I hope he is a success in the union game.
davewigan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wigan Warriors today confirmed that Chris Ashton had decided to join Rugby Union from the beginning of the 2008 season.

Explaining the background Wigan Chairman Maurice Lindsay told wiganwarriors.com that the issue had been ongoing for the past three weeks.

Maurice said,

"We were contacted at the end of 2006 by Andrew Clarke who told us that he would be taking over the management of Chris Ashton. At the same time he acknowledged that Chris was only half way through a two year contract and as such he did not want us to make an offer there and then but would speak to us early in the 2007 season about a contract for 2008. We accepted that in good faith.

"When he did approach us in February 2007 he told us that he had been speaking to at least six Rugby Union clubs. We were shocked and Brian Noble spoke to Chris Ashton. It was Brian's belief that Chris would not be ready for top grade rugby union and it would be a poor career decision. Brian also met with Chris Ashton's father but was unable to change their thinking.

"Nevertheless we put forward an offer to Andrew Clarke for a contract to take Chris through to 2009 with a built in promise we would re visit the contract if Chris made the required progress. The contract we offered would have been higher than the contracts agreed by Sean O'Loughlin and Gareth Hock at the same age and stage of their careers.

"We heard nothing more for two weeks but we were then advised by Andrew Clarke that Chris would be joining Northampton Rugby Union club on a salary of 140,000 per year."

Maurice further added,

"Brian Noble, quite understandably, did not want to spend 140,000 out of a salary cap limit of 1.6 million on a young player who was still in a stage of development."

Brian Noble said,

"I am disappointed to be losing a player of Chris's potential. The club has tried extremely hard to convince him his future is in Rugby League. The club also has a commitment to put the best possible team forward for the Wigan people, a balance in recruitment has to be found. I am not sure at this stage of his career whether Chris is making the right decision, however we wish him well for the future. It's disappointing that Rugby League has lost another talented outside back."

Maurice Lindsay concluded,

"We like Chris alot and did not want him to go to Rugby Union. At this stage of his career we think he is being badly advised and would have been better to work on his game for at least another two years when he would have matured and be in a position to earn a good salary in either League or Union.

"We think he is making a mistake and knowing Rugby Union as I do they will put unfair pressure upon him, particularly as he will be a high salary earner. Chev Walker and Karl Pryce are still coming to terms with the different game and we all know how much criticism has been heaped unfairly on Andy Farrell.

"We of course have to work with a strict salary cap, unlike Rugby Union, so to make Chris one of the highest earners in the club would have been difficult to explain to some of the other players who are at least playing for Great Britain. Nevertheless we wish Chris well in his new profession. He will of course remain a Wigan player until the end of the 2007 season and will remain part of Brian Noble's first team squad."

reading the part chris's agent played in this makes me wonder if he was thinking about Ashton or his own pocket
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you hang about and play for tuppence compared to what you could earn? I know I wouldnt. Shame really, he was one of the better players to come through the youth system. WW should have offered him a lifetime contract, but on a lesser wage. That way, his future would have been secured.
davewigan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many players have had a great first season then trailed off ?

how you can suggest giving a PROSPECT a life time contract ?

it shows a little where the agents priority's are telling igan to hang fire and stating the club had not offered a contract when they had

but good luck to Ashton i hope he doesn't get to cold
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many "young players" have Wigan let go, only for them to prove their weight in gold? Sean Long, Luke Robinson to name but two good examples... Instead, Wigan would rather sign players who are coming towards the ends of their careers, and sign them for a wage that could keep a "prospect" for a few seasons.

Were Pat Richards and David Vaaleki (sp) really worth the amounts they command from the salary cap? I don't think so.
davewigan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

townof memories

do you know why some of the above entioned players left Wigan ??

vialiki and richards are both PROVEN not PROPECTS

dave allan looked like a world beater in his first few games for Wigan thats another prospect

no player is bigger than the team or the game

he was offered a deal and turned it down good luck to him

i will look forward to union fans telling us all how crap he is when they are losing

thats if he doesn't get phumonia waiting for anything to happen or to get into the game
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davewigan wrote:
townof memories

do you know why some of the above entioned players left Wigan ??

vialiki and richards are both PROVEN not PROPECTS

They may have been "PROVEN", but they haven't really performed have they? There have been games where Richards kicking has been the reason we lost...

Quote:
no player is bigger than the team or the game

Which is why I said they should have given him a lifetime contract, rather than match the RU offer. I don't beieve for one moment that any player is bigger than a team, but going from WW past, they have done it on more than one occasion. For example, Farrell, who was a very good player, but everything seemed to have to revolve around him. O Loughlin, who, IMO is not suited to the captains role, there are other players who could do it. And most recently, the wonderful Trent Barrett. I agree that he may be a good player, but in almost every game he ends up limping. When he doesn't play, neither do Wigan (Or so it seems). Do we really need these "really good players", to win games for us, but when they don't play, we are in trouble? Or do we need a good all round team?

Quote:
he was offered a deal and turned it down good luck to him

i will look forward to union fans telling us all how crap he is when they are losing

thats if he doesn't get phumonia waiting for anything to happen or to get into the game

At the end of the day, why stay at a club like WW for a 60kpa wage, when he can double that for a RU club who will pay him that whether they get relegated or not? I think he is looking out for himself and his family, by going for the better money offer. Good luck to him. He is a very good player in both Union and League, lets hope he does well and becomes a success story in RU, rather than coming back to league on a team other than WW and orchestrating his ex clubs loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: