wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Crooke Village QR History Trail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Crooke Village QR History Trail Reply with quote

Over the last few months, I have been working on creating a QR history trail around Crooke. Because the village is so steeped in history, I thought it would be of great interest to those who would like to know more.

As I have already done the research on the village history and posted my findings into the Crooke Village website, because QRs are so easy to use and with the agreement of the Residents Association, I created 11 QR points within the village so that visitors can compare what the QR page tells readers with what the village looks like today.

A QR, meaning quick response, is a form of Barr code in a square form and can be scanned by an App on your mobile phone or tablet which will direct the reader to a designated website page. Below, I have posted a map of the QR locations and two pictures of the first QR, a, to show what they look like and b, to identify the location of the first. Once the first QR page is opened, you will be directed on the the next. If you give this a try, we hope you find the experience interesting.

Jo Anne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Shevington Fete 2016‏ today, Sat 6th Aug, 11am - 4pm: Facebook / @ShevingtonFete

Paul will be in the Methodist Church to chat about Crooke Village history & recent developments www.crookevillage.co.uk
Jo Anne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo by Mick: 'Remains Uncovered of the Crooke Coal Tippler' - Photo-a-Day Smile
Jo Anne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereabouts is the canal weir in Tuesday's Photo-a-Day, Mick? 6/6/17 Smile
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago I noticed that railway lines which ran across the road had been uncovered.
Cyril

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo Anne wrote:
Whereabouts is the canal weir in Tuesday's Photo-a-Day, Mick? 6/6/17 Smile

It's between Crooke and Gathurst Jo Anne, more towards Gathurst than Crooke though, if going for a walk choose a dry sunny day as the canal bank has been churned up by off road cyclists; leaving deep muddy puddles the full width of the path in places.
Mick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your almost right Cyril it is on the canal bank in between Gathurst and Crooke.

But its a lot closer to Crooke than Gathurst, its just before where the pipeline crosses the canal, the pipeline that I was told as a kid carried tomato soup from Heinz at Standish to Heinz at Kitt Green.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154715975@N05/
Cyril

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about nine years ago when Ollie was a pup that I last went along there Mick, and we didn't even get anywhere near to the weir as the path was so bad, so never went again.

Do Heinz use fresh produce in their soups nowadays or do they use de-hydrated powder and add water, every time I've been past for a while I haven't smelled anything and at one time you could smell which soup was being made on the day some distance away, and a lot of folks have commented that the taste isn't the same as once was, I wouldn't know as I've never liked Heinz products.
Jo Anne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cyril and Mick, I'll look out for the weir when we next walk that way. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: