wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's on Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links
 Search    In association with  The Wigan Courier
  Album
 Album contents
  Walking days
  Schools
  Work
  Street scenes
  Places
  People
  Sports
  Assorted
 
  Upload Your Photos
 
More photos of Wigan
  New gallery
  Old gallery
  Wigan streets
  Photo-a-Day
  Wiganers at Work
 
Webcam
  wiganworld webcam
 
 
Bottling Wood   Views: 1710
Wigan's first Council Houses?, Chestnut Road   Comments: 7
Photo: Rev David Long   Item #: 30051  
 
Wigan's first Council Houses?, Chestnut Road

Alert Image scaled down from 1000px to 666px wide Click here, or click the photo to view original
 
  Visible on the wall of the houses, at the end of the central wooden fence, is a plaque commemorating the laying of the foundation stone for the Corporation's 'First Direct Labour Housing Scheme'. It was laid by the Mayor of Wigan, Cllr. John McCurdy on 6th October 1926.
This is the estate visible on the ridge behind the old houses on Coppull Lane in Bottling Wood seen in old photographs.
There may have been earlier Council Houses built by private contractors.
 

 [<< Back] 7 user comment(s) below:-  [Leave a comment]

Comments by Ed, 11th January 2018  
Is these houses still there.

Comments by Mr X, 11th January 2018  
The houses in Bottling Wood are identical to those in Beech Hill. It appears that the Bottling Wood estate was built first.

Comments by ken, 11th January 2018  
The first council houses were Guildford Cres. and Thickness Ave. Beech Hill.

Comments by DerekB, 12th January 2018  
We moved into an identical house to these in Bluebell Ave, Beech Hill in 1951. Our elderly next door neighbours had been the first tenants in their house in 1929.

Comments by John D, 12th January 2018  
Notice how the gable end is built using a cheaper common brick than the facing brick at the front. The rear is also built with cheaper brick. Obviously a cost-cutting exercise. Nevertheless they are extremely well built.

Comments by Barrie, 12th January 2018  
Poplar Avenue Pemberton must have been council houses built around 1926-28 as my parents moved into their 1st house in October 1928 and were the 2nd tenants of the property. Father collected the keys from the Borough Treasurers Office on their way back from honeymoon.The 1st tenant was emigrating to Australia with his family and suggested to Father to apply for it. Both worked at Massey Bros. in Enfield Street) Looking at the 1928/29 map the estate was expanding.
Now the house is privately owned.

Comments by Rev David Long, 13th January 2018  david@scars.org.uk 
John D - that was a common way of building most houses.

 
 © 2018 wiganworld
Click here to read the privacy policy, disclaimer and copyright information.
Please contact us with your ideas, suggestions, moans or questions.